Help with transferring existing iPhone to new computer

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tjjm36m3, Dec 12, 2009.

1. tjjm36m3 macrumors newbie

I have a iPhone 3Gs and is currently synced with an old computer. Now I'm planning on buying a new computer but have heard that once I plug my existing iPhone into the new computer the iphone memory will be wiped clean. Is there any way around this? I don't want to start over again, and what about the old itunes music files that were only able to be played with my old computer? Any help appreciated, thanks!

2. Surely Guest

Surely

You would have to transfer your iTunes music library from your old computer to your new computer.

Are you planning on transferring from a Mac to a Mac?

If you were planning on doing it manually (and not with Migration Assistant), you would need to transfer the following:

User>Music>iTunes

User>Library>iTunes

User>Library>Application Support>MobileSync

Once you transfer all that, your iPhone will recognize your new computer as your old one.

3. tjjm36m3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I currently using a pc but going to get a MacBook. So is it still the same procedure? Thanks again!

4. Surely Guest

Surely

I don't think it would be the same procedure..... I mean, it would be the same idea (transferring over the iTunes Library and it's settings/preferences), but I'm not sure how Windows organizes it, so I don't know where you would find those files or what they would be called.

I'm sure there's a PC expert somewhere around here that'll be able to help.

If you buy your Mac from an Apple Store, you can bring your PC in, and they will transfer everything over for you.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Are you going from a PC to PC now, or are you going from a PC to Mac? It wasn't exactly clear if you planned to do the Mac at a later date.

6. MavsX macrumors member

MavsX

make sure that before you switch to a new computer, that you de-authorize your current computer, then on the new one, you authorize it.

7. Surely Guest

Surely

It doesn't matter the order you do it in (unless you've already maxed out the number of computers that you are allowed to authorize).