Help with transferring from a VCR onto external hard-drive

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Lyons00, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Lyons00 macrumors 6502

Hi,

I need some help with transferring a video from a VCR to a external HD to view on my Samsung UNC558000. The video transferred fine onto the external HD as a Quicktime Movie. It plays on my iMac, but won't play on my TV. Do I need to save this as a different format? This is a project I'm doing as a birthday gift. Any help would really be appreciated.

Thank, Jerry

2. phrehdd, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014

phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

2009 Video codes supported_large.jpg
    This is what Samsung says it supports.... and fyi, if you use a hard drive, it most likely needs to be formatted with DOS or Windows NTFS (not Mac formatted HTFS). Chances are you will want to convert to MKV or AVI or VOB and the most often used MP4. You may want to check out options like MP4tool application.

Hope this helps

3. Lyons00 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,
    Thanks, I formatted the HD to fat32 and used MP4 and almost every other format and couldn't get it to work. Also tried it on my Blu-Ray, still couldn't see the files. Someone mentioned, if I don't want to burn them, maybe get Apple TV. What do you think, would that work?

Thanks

4. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

It may be possible with the Apple TV that needs to see your MAC where the file exists or possibly another device on the network that has DLNA.

Does your TV see the hard drive at all? I gather there are two USB ports. Did you check the other USB port and also, some devices are a bit touchy about the USB cable 'plugs.'

5. Lyons00 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes and so does the Blu-Ray player. Tried both ports and it says no video files. I read somewhere that you need a power source with the external HD to get it to work, not enough power without one.
    Called Apple, they said Apple TV will work with the external HD connected to my iMac and I can use the mirroring feature. I'm going to try this and see what happens. Leaving soon to go to the Apple Store. Will let you know what happens.

I want to thank you, for all your help on this,
    Jerry

6. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

That would make sense as your external drive may not be getting any power from the Samsung TV itself. If your file was not too large, you might have tried it on a thumb drive connected to the TV.

7. Lyons00 thread starter macrumors 6502

I got the Apple TV and it works for what I was looking for. The files are way to big for the thumb drive.

Thank you