help with transparent images

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by matteusclement, Apr 7, 2011.

1. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

I use FCP7 and 10.6.3.
    I have photoshop cs5.

you know when you want to put an image in the bottom of a video such as a logo or something that needs to have transparency, you use a PSD in FCP right? But it needs to be rendered each time. Am I doing something wrong?
    The PSD comes up as a sequence in my bin. that right?

2. VideoCave macrumors member

re images

Save as a png or tiff, both of these formats support transparency. Using one of these will flatten everything into a one layer file. Then bring that into fcp.

Never use a PSD because for one if you have any layer effects they will not show up in FCP. The second is if you do have a PSD comp set up where you do want to animate the individual layers. Its better to use Motion or AfterEffects. This is what there made to do much easier then FCP. Then export a .mov using ProRes 4444 or Animation Codec, because these both support an alpha channel if needed so you can layer over your video in FCP and see what ever underneath it.

Both of these support native PSD file import containing layers. But once again you might need to flatten the effects especially in Motion. AfterEffects I think holds the layer effects because of them both being Adobe apps.

I prefer to save each individual image as a seperate png or tiff and then resemble myself in Motion of AfterEffects. That way you leave the original PSD untouched and can go back and adjust things if needed and resave over the old file.

I just feel you have more control this way. But thats just me.

3. I AM THE MAN macrumors 6502

Definetly Nailed it!