Help With Trash Can! :)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Macnator, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Macnator macrumors 6502

Hey everyone. This may sound funny but, I deleted some items, my time machine back ups (17 folders) into the trash can.( I had some problems) Now they will not delete from the trash can! I click on empty trash and they just sit there, I hear the sound, but nothing happens?

Anyone have an idea how to actually delete them? If you even understand the problem here at all.

Thanks! :)

2. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

i'm not sure if this key combo is correct, but hold shift and apple while emptying trash. it will do a force empty trash

3. Macnator thread starter macrumors 6502

by apple do you mean Command? I help Shift+Command and just heard the sound again.

This is messed up.

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

5. Macnator thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, option-empty trash, Just heard the sound again. Maybe because its my time machine backups, it has too many files to delete?

omfg I want my trash can empty :(

6. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

There are ways to do it.

FIRST!

Check the folders, and all items in the folders to see if they're locked. If they are, unlock them and attempt to empty trash.

Failing that, extreme measures may be needed !
    I saved screen shots of this in hopes that it will come in handy some day.

Using Terminal, do this:
    [​IMG]

if even that fails, like it did for me before. There is one last option. You can Delete your trash can completely, and restart the computer. Once you log back in, a new Trash will be created. Anything you delete before rebooting will be deleted permanently as there is no trash to send it to.

[​IMG]