Help with unlocked ATT iPhone5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MN7119, Oct 5, 2013.

1. MN7119 macrumors regular

Got my ATT iPhone5 unlocked on switfunlocks but when I tried to use with a TMobile SIM card the phone works for 5 minutes and then goes to No Service. I took the phone to TMobile and we tried 3 different SIM cards and they all do the same. Took the phone to Apple Store and spent 2 hours with the Genius and they could not figure out what is wrong. The phone shows as unlocked and unblocked as the genius guy checked. He tried the SIM card on another iPhone from the store and phone works fine. Phone works fine with ATT SIM card.

Any ideas what may be going on?

2. holycowe macrumors member

If it's unlocked. Just try to toggle airplane mode or just reboot it. Give it a minute or 2

3. MN7119 thread starter macrumors regular

Phone shows unlocked. Tried the airplane mode trick several times and no luck. Restored the phone on itunes, genius guy did a "hard reset" on the store, etc.. and nothing worked. I spent 2 hours with the genius and he could not figure out what is wrong.

4. hockeyman94 macrumors regular

If your iphone was not unlocked it would show as invalid sim. Was the sim card activated on t-mobile with a phone #? It doesnt always show the carrier if there is no phone number attached to the card.

5. MN7119 thread starter macrumors regular

SIM card is from the same TMobile number that I had for years. I just switched from the old SIM card format to the nano one to be able to use on the iPhone. When I first plugged the SIM it showed TMobile and I was able to make a phone call but 5 minutes later it went to No Service and there is nothing that gets the signal back.

6. holycowe macrumors member

Sounds like a blacklisted phone to me.
    Check it and make sure it's not blacklisted

7. MN7119 thread starter macrumors regular

Phone was checked by both TMobile store and Apple Store and it is shown unlocked and not blacklisted.

8. Applejuiced, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It cannot be blacklisted if he's making a 5 minute phone call and then just constantly loses service.
    Sounds like you should turn off 3G in settings cause it might be interfering if there's no compatible or very weak Tmobile 3G on a refarmed area and you're using an older iphone 5 that doesn't support the new/full tmobile bands aws 1700/2100.
    It tries to connect to the old/refarmed 1900 band but seems like Tmobile 1900 3G signal is bad in your area and loses service completely.
    Stick to 2G/Edge or you'd be stuck with no service left and right.

9. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

I agree with this one. The iPhone 5 that was launched for T-mobile was specifically designed for their spectrum. Try turning off 3G in Settings>cellular data

10. ChittagongBoy, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013

ChittagongBoy macrumors member

Unlocked iPhone 5

After reading all the above post, Im curious for the following :

Did iOS7 restrict sim swap for unlocked iPhones ??

Purchased locked iPhone 5 from TMobile customer, got it unlocked from TMobile ,
    received CONGRATS PHONE IS UNLOCKED verification screen on iTunes while setting up(restore) , purchased AT&T sim and phone works perfectly on AT&T network.

Tried to use an active Tmobile sim (being used on i5) and I get the following message NO SERIVCE.

Any ideas folks.
    Thanks

11. alent1234 macrumors 603

did you do a hard reboot when switching sims?

press that top button for 10 seconds or whatever till the phone asks you to shut down

12. ChittagongBoy macrumors member

Yes have tried all the possible , reset - airplane mode switch, cellular mode switch (auto/manual) - alas no luck :confused: