Help with unlocked iPhone 6S from Apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by solideliquid, Sep 10, 2015.

1. solideliquid macrumors 6502

solideliquid

Since apple is offering unlocked devices through their new iPhone Upgrade option, I understand that means you can use the phone with any carrier.

So right now I have ATT and I've been thinking of switching to Verizon. If I get the new unlocked phone and use it with ATT do I have the option later to port my number to Verizon AND keep my new 6S iPhone?

2. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Since there is a specific different model number for CDMA supporting version, I would think that the default GSM (AT&T/T-Mobile) version would have the CDMA radio disabled, although I could be wrong. Not sure how the new Apple financing plan work, but if they don't require user to select carrier on the spot (Apple only a financing mechanism), then maybe it is safer to specifically ask for the Verizon version (which you can definitely use on AT&T).

3. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Yes you are wrong. An AT&T iPhone 6 will work fine with Verizon.

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Well verizon would not activate it on their network, so not really. They actually need to give people the SIM free version unless all past rules are voided with the 6s.

to the OP, it sounds like they are in fact giving people SIM free version of the phone. Otherwise they would be dealing with a headache when someone tries to switch carries (e.g.: ATT to verizon) and verizon tells them that is not whitelisted.

5. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Thank you. Confirmation?
    Right now, just based on facts form Apple website, there are two different model numbers. a GSM and CDMA supporting models.
    Also, Verizon is known to not willing to activate phones that are not registered with them (ie. phones that are non-verizon phones). There are workarounds, but that is another story

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

exactly. They need to be giving people the SIM free version. If what the person you quoted said is true there would be no carrier attached to any phone and it would just be "iPhone" and you would never have to select a carrier during checkout unless you were upgrading.

7. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Bc I'm using my previous locked AT&T 6 that I got unlocked with them and stuck in a Verizon SIM card and it worked instantly lol

AT&T. Verizon and t mobile are the same model iPhone 6. A1459

8. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Verizon is cdma and is the same model number as the gsm phones. Only the different models are sim free and sprint

9. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

That will work. But verizon would not activate a new line with that phone. If you took that phone in your hand right now and tried to activate it on verizon with a new line they would turn you down. It only works with an already active account.

THEY ONLY ACTIVATE VERIZON MODEL PHONES OR SIM FREE PHONES WITH A NEW LINE.

That bolded part is crucial.

10. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Thank you for giving the details that others seem to miss.
    This is the key. One has to already have an existing active Verizon SIM. When that's the case, the SIM can be simply inserted on an unlocked iPhone. However, once cannot activate a non-verizon iPhone for a new Verizon account.

11. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Do
    sorry this is wrong too. I went to Verizon's website and typed in my imei and it lets me sign up for service. Things with the carriers are changing fast guys.

12. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

That would be good news then. If that is the case, they need to stop branding the phones as "att, verizon, sprint, t-mobile." Why the hell would they put "t-mobile" next to the contract-free phone they offer at launch?

That is what the apple store app shows as the phone you will get if you pick "contract free". Last year it was the t-mobile version, which was only GSM unlocked.
    [​IMG]

13. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

That's the problem. Carriers don't know squat and Apple needs to release only a sim free model. One model with all bands. That's how China does it.