Help with unlocking iPhone 2G

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by QMdude, Dec 30, 2009.

1. QMdude macrumors member

Hello all,

I just got an iPhone from a friend. I have AT&T, but the registration process via iTunes is somewhat confusing. Anyways, I used to have an iPhone 2G but the screen went bad, and since then, the unlocking and jailbraking process seems to have changed. At the time, I had to upgrade my firmware and then run ZiPhone and it worked.

This time it is a bit more complicated. The phone says "1.1.1" on the box, which I presume is the firmware version, but I forgot how to upgrade the firmware... Apple's website says to upgrade via iTunes, but I cannot do that until I activate my phone (the only option it gives me in iTunes is to eject my phone). When I run ZiPhone I get the following error:

"USBMuxListenerCreate: Unknown error: 0"

Any help would be appreciated!!!
    Thanks!

2. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

You should just need to connect the iPhone to iTunes, and activate as a new phone. Then you can download and install the firmware updates. No need to unlock it since you have AT&T.

If you want to jailbreak after the firmware updates, use Pwnage Tool or Blackra1n. :)

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Dont use ziphone.
    Try blackrain instead and if you cant update it put it in DFU mode and restore to the latest firmware thru itunes.

4. QMdude thread starter macrumors member

What is DFU mode? How do I put the iPhone into this mode?

Thanks

5. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

dfu mode means device firmware update mode. it is used to completely wipe the whole iphone of any jailbreaking data. when just restoring while its on or in recovery mode, apple can still trace it as it does not get rid of some of the jailbreak data.

6. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

When did Google break and how long has it been down? :)

7. QMdude thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the help everyone. I tried loading a new version of the firmware via iTunes (3.1.x i think..) but I got an error (1604).....

8. QMdude thread starter macrumors member