Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rscaggs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
I bought an iphone 4 tonight and i have at&t go phone sim card. I put in the sim and it shows no bars for signal and i cant call or text so i am presuming that it needs to be unlocked. I dont have the usb for it-so is there anyway i can unlock it since i cant get on the web with the phone? Am I going to need to find someone with a contract plan at&t and use their sim long enough to get on the internet on the phone and unlock it? I have really never had a phone this nice, and i really hope i didnt get a phone i cant use...ty in advance :D

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
it should work w/ the prepaid sim card (if the iPhone was bought in the US). Most likely you didn't cut the sim card properly.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You dont need to unlock a US iphone to use a prepaid AT&T sim. It will work without JB or unlocking.
Like said above you probably didnt cut the sim right so the phone is not reading it.
You can also go to AT&T and buy a prepaid microsim so you dont mess with trimming another one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.