Help with unziping files automatically to specific directories

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacFanJeff, Dec 25, 2008.

1. MacFanJeff macrumors regular

I have a new toy for Christmas and have been installing some old archives on my Mac. I am using the current OS 10.5.6 and downloaded both StuffIt Expander and UnArchiver current versions. They both work of course for unzipping a ".zip" archive. However, here's the problem -

Most of the archives have specified the install location for the files and I would like to keep that in tact to save time. For example: /documents/workfiles/june2008

all files from the ".zip" would automatically go there if I was using a program like "winzip" and turned on the "use archive directory paths".

Of course, I can install the files by hand in those directories, but it will take me a LOT more time to do so. So far, I can't figure out how to get either Suffit Expander or UnArchiver to do this.

Can anyone help me with this so I don't have to unzip them and move the files by hand to the correct paths? Any other software to try that would work just like "winzip" ?

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You may find folder actions to do what you're looking for. I don't really know enough about scripting to help with the specifics, but yours seems like a fairly common request and I'm sure there are scripts online that can help you out. It's not like you're trying to make your World of Warcraft character kill something every time somebody emails you a family picture... :rolleyes:

3. MacFanJeff thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, but that was not what I am needing. Sorry, might need to clear this up a bit.

Problem:

I have many "WinZip" archives that have a directory structures specified in the archive itself. Such as: "/documents/business/2008" and other directories like "/documents/personal/2008".

What I need:

I need a Mac utility that will allow me to unzip those archives while maintaining the directory structure so I don't have to unzip them and place them in those directories by hand. In other words, the "WinZip" file itself specifies what directory structure and where to put them.

As I said, you can do this manually of course and just unzip them using any number of programs. But what I want is to do it like WinZip does automatically and let the archive specify where to put the files based on the zip file directory structure. It's REALLY time consuming to do it by hand if you have many files in an archive and several different directory structures in that archive.

Thanks.