Help with updates - especially .dist files

Discussion in 'macOS' started by djchristie, Feb 3, 2010.

1. djchristie macrumors member

djchristie

Dear all,

I live somewhere with limited internet access, so try and avoid downloading the same thing twice. I normally use standalone installers off the apple website for updates, but occasionally end up using software update. I have 5 machines to update, and looked at copying the downloaded update to the other machines, then running it as a manual installer. Within the folder are two files (when using Software update) a .dist and .pkg - my question is, do I need the .dist file if I am using the .pkg as a stanalone installer?

An example for an iPhoto update:

061-7414.English.dist
    iPhoto_811.pkg

If I open the .pkg it seems to run fine, but do I need to do anything (run?) the .dist?

Thanks!

2. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

If I remember correctly, the dist files contain some code checking if the requirements to install the package are fulfilled - e.g., if you have the right version of a software for an update.

So, I guess, you don't need them if you're sure you want to install the whole package. But, that's only a guess.

3. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

Oh, and I just also remembered: I think you can open the dist file with a text editor, so maybe you can get an idea what it does..

4. djchristie thread starter macrumors member

djchristie

Thanks pit29, that makes a lot of sense and is a great help. Opened with Textedit and there is a lot of mention on installation-checks, errors if OS X is below 10.5.6 etc so you look to be bang on. I'll just ignore them!

Thanks again.