Help with updating AMD drivers.

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Blooo, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Blooo macrumors newbie

Ok so wheni installed windows 7 x64 via bootcamp on my 2011 iMac it asked me to insert a disk so i could download the drivers for when i install windows.
    I did that and when i installed windows i also installed the updates.

Some games i try to run have really bad FPS so i have had a look around the internet and have found out that this may be due to not having the latest drivers.

I tried updating them in device manager and used a program off of the AMD/ATI website and they both say that they are upto date.

Now with a little more searching on the net i found out that the bootcamp version of my drivers are up to date but i need to install the catalyst driver package instead of the bootcamp one and that should solve my FPS problems.

My question is how do i go about downloading the newest catalyst drivers to solve this problem? I have downloaded the catalyst control center but havnt got a clue what to do from there (not used to windows.)

2. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

3. Dr. McKay macrumors 6502a

When in bootcamp (win 7 x64), even the catalyst drivers identify my card as a radeon mobility 2600 xt, whereas I have a Radeon HD 2600 Pro...
    And as far as I know, the HD 2600 Pro IS a desktop card, unless Apple is lying about the specs and it really is a 2600 xt mobility in my iMac (I'd have to open it up to verify, though...).

4. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

iMacs have always used mobility cards even though Apple often don't specifically state it. Desktop cards have too high a power draw and heat output.

5. Dr. McKay macrumors 6502a

I therefore ask the question : why do my iMac's specs state 'ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro' which is a desktop card, when this is obviously not the case ?

In other words, forcing Win7 to recognize my card as the Radeon HD 2600 Pro could harm my computer ?

6. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

Because Apple never bothered to differentiate between desktop and and mobility card, although they do now. You cant force you card to pretend it is a desktop version, it doesn't work like that, you simply download the mobility version of the catalyst drivers.

7. Blooo thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

9. Blooo, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012

Blooo thread starter macrumors newbie

after selecting notbook and the right graphics card and windows 7 x64 it takes me to download Catalyst Software Suite

After trying to install i get AMD could not be downloaded due to incompatable hardware/software on your computer
    your computer does not contain a proper graphics adapter.

i have read around and found i need to download the new beta of catalyst.

but what do i actually do in the catalyst program to update?
    if i click check for drivers it takes me back to the same website you linked to and after i select the options which are

notebook.
    radeon HD series
    radeon HD 6xxxm series
    windows 7 64 bit

the only thing i can download is the Catalyst Software Suite again.

thanks for the help so far.

Earlier i only posted i have an iMac. Here are the actual specs
    2011 iMac
    2.5ghz intel core i5
    4gb 1333 mhz ddr3
    AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB

10. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe