Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

T34418leONE

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2010
Howdy!

I just purchased a 2007 intel core 2 duo 2.33ghz 15" MacBook Pro from my good friend! While I'm not new to the Mac world, use a Mac Mini daily, I am new to MBP and laptops in general. I did some searching or MRoogling as I saw on this board lol and found out a lot of stuff but I have a few questions about my particular model...

So again my computer is a 2007 MBP 15" 2.33GHZ 120GB HDD 2GB RAM

•MRoogling I found that 3GB of RAM are my max but I see that 4GB is capable. I want to go CRUCIAL brand as I have that in my Mac Mini and works great. So my question if I upgrade to 3GB RAM should I purchase two sticks one 2GB the other 1GB OR just purchase one 2GB and keep one of the original sticks? I assume buying 2 new CRUCIAL makes more sense.
•120GB HDD isn't enough! I'd love to upgrade to a 500 or 640GB asap. Here is my question - http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Seagate/YST9640320AS/ this kit should work on my model correct? From my MRoogling any 2.5" HDD should work if I'm correct but again I want to make sure! Anybody have experience with this kit? Side note: I love that I can use my old HDD as an external!

That's mainly it for now! But reading thru these threads I'm confident that I'll get great responses seeing as most people on here seem to be genuine smart and nice people!

Thanks!

Stvwndr219

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2009
Whatever you feel is best for you in regards to the RAM.

As for the hard drive upgrade kit - it's nice that they bundle everything in there for you... but it seems overpriced...

WD Blue is $60 on newegg right now, add the enclosure and it's $75 total and then all you need is a small phillips and a torx t6...

T34418leONE

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2010
I couldn't find the particular one you mentioned on newegg. Is it a 500 or 640GB?

Can you link me?

T34418leONE

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2010
Oh wow! what a deal!! that's great, thanks for the link, I'll definitely go that route, ill order it tonight. thanks again!

TopHatPlus

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2010
Southern Ontario
hey for the ram i would recommend the 2+1 gb it makes more sense to me, waste not want not right?

for the hard drive you can run anything with a 2.5" disk, and a 5400 rpm would be recommended to conserve power.

Good luck

T34418leONE

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2010
hey for the ram i would recommend the 2+1 gb it makes more sense to me, waste not want not right?

for the hard drive you can run anything with a 2.5" disk, and a 5400 rpm would be recommended to conserve power.

Good luck

Thanks for the reply. I think I will go for the 2+1 but I wanted to know if I should buy two new RAM sticks at once (one 2GB and another 1GB) or just buy one 2GB and take out one of my RAM and place the new 2GB one in... Basically I'm asking if that's okay to do or if it's gonna be a problem and if I should spend the extra $ on a new 1GB stick go match the other 2GB stick. Make sense?

heres a link you can get upto 1 TB now

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=140

look around for prices but if you need space its a good option, i am running the seagate momentous XT for a little better speed performance.

Thanks for the info! 1TB inside this thing sounds awesome haha. I went ahead and purchased the WD with that deal above but it's nice to know if I should ever need to upgrade again I can grab a 1TB in the future (hopefully at cheaper prices as well).

Thanks everyone for your input, I greatly appreciate it, I hope I get the most out of this MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.