Help with upgrading a MacMini internal HD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tommylaws, Mar 2, 2008.

1. tommylaws macrumors newbie

I have a Mac Mini with a 2ghz intel core 2 duo processor and 3gb memory. The macmini came with a 120gb hd and Leopard 10.5.2, which is way too small so, I purchased a 250 gb 2 1/2" Hitachi replacement. For a backup, I purchased from OWC (Mac Sales) a Newer Technologies MiniStack v3, 500gb hd, and back up the Mac 120gb hd once an hour.
    Where I would be very appreciative for some help is that I took out the original 120 Mac HD, and replaced it with the 250gb Hitachi, but the Leopard OS didn't recognize the new Hitachi, nor would it autoboot (or boot) from the MiniStack v3, which I thought (via firewire) would auto reboot.
    I tried to use the Leopard startup disk to install on the Hitachi 250gb drive, but Leopard would ONLY recognize the Ministack to reinstall the Leopard OS, which I didn't want to do for fear of overwriting the TimeMachine data.
    I have no clue as to how to reinstall a HD and couldn't find any thing on the Apple web site. Any help appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Tom

2. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Have you tried holding down T at startup to get it to boot from the external HD?

3. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

Sounds like the new Hitachi isn't getting power or SATA connection?

4. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

it's quite easy to forget to put the little power adapter back when doing mac mini upgrades, does it chime or show anything on screen? A small hard drive icon with a question mark?

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The boot disk has to be partitioned as GUID Partition Table.

If you have backed up to your external disk using SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner it will do this automatically but if you have just dragged a copy of your files onto the external it won't work as a boot drive.

6. tommylaws thread starter macrumors newbie

MacMini won't boot with new 250gb upgraded hd

Wow!
    First of all, thanks out there for your quick replies.
    Let me respond in turn:
    1. OllyW: Thanks on the SuperDuper/Carbon Cloner tip. I have both but didn't use them, since I thought they might interfere with Time Machine. I didn't drag anything over though. Should I have and, will TM work with CCC and SD?
    2. JG271: When I used the disk utility, the new Hitachi showed up, but not on a disk that could have Leopard written to it. The machine boots to the Leopard DVD disk, and shows it could load to the NewTech v3, but I didn't, because I dimly remembered that a reinstall of Leopard would do an overwrie of the entire disk.
    3. MacFAnBoyII3. Don't know but it does show up with utilities.
    4.JF271. Never heard of that one. Great tip. Maybe I'll try it.
    Tom :confused:

7. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Boot off the Leopard DVD, open Disk Utility, highlight the top entry of the Hitachi drive and a Partition tab will appear on the right hand side.

Click on the partition tab, select "1 Partition" under Volume Scheme and chose "GUID Partition Table" from the options, give the partition a name then click apply.

You should then be able to load Leopard onto your Hitachi drive.

8. tommylaws thread starter macrumors newbie

CAn't boot new HD off of Leopard

OllyW:
    Thanks. I'll try that in the morning. My wife has been on the computer all day/night since she is grading papers online. She almost had a heart attack when I told her the computer crashed.
    Thanks to all. I'll keep all apprised and very appreciative of your suggestions.
    Tom