Help With Upgrading HD For Early 08'

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gattz, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Gattz macrumors regular

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

1. Yes.

2. All platter-based hard drives are essentially the same. The one you linked to has a 5-year warranty, which is pretty good. It seems like a good deal.

3. Gattz thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, I forgot to ask, I've never installed a HD in my laptop before. Is there a guide I can look at? I've only changed my memory before. Will doing this void my warranty? Then again I'm not even sure I still have warranty.

4. simsaladimbamba

MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
    • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
    • 1. Getting a new HDD
    • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
    • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
    • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

5. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

ifixit.com has a good guide to it. Doable, maybe not as easy as changing RAM (or changing the battery in a unibody), but not too hard if you take your time.

Back in the day, I could tell what I thought was a very noticeable difference going from the smaller stock drive to a 7200 rpm.

6. Gattz thread starter macrumors regular

I've read a guide, and I doesn't seem that difficult to do, but sadly, I'm missing the spudger, and T6 Torx screwdriver.

I'm also worried I might mess up the logic board because I'm directly disconnecting and connecting it.

7. simsaladimbamba

The spudger can be replaced with a sharp fingernail or not used at all.
    As for the screwdriver, some have said they could replace it with a normal flat screwdriver, maybe have a look via some www search engine.
    As for messing up, I opened my MBP several times now, even disconnected everything there is, and it is still running. You just need to ground yourself by touching the aluminium and then disconnect the battery and then unscrew the HDD.
    All can be done in less than ten minutes.

8. Idefix macrumors 6502

I have the same early 2008 MBP, replacing the HD isn't hard, just requires patience and painstaking attention to detail.

Get the Torx at home depot, or similar hardware store. Don't need a spudger, just be gentle with whatever you use. Magnetic tip helps a whole bunch.

Tip: print out 2 copies of the ifixit.com directions: use one for reference, use the other for the variety of screws. As you take a screw out, tape it directly to the correct position on the guide with scotch tape. As you reinsert the screws, check each page to make sure you've inserted all the screws.

9. Gattz thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe I'm getting mixed up, but wouldn't a magnetic tip destroy the parts?

Also, would a metal nail filer work the same as spudger?

10. simsaladimbamba

A magnetic tip would not destroy anything. You would need a STRONG magnet to get the particles confused on an HDD, a magnetic tip does not even register.

11. Idefix macrumors 6502

Magnetic tip will prevent dropping those itsy-bitsy screws into the laptop. And as mentioned, it doesn't hurt anything.