Help with upgrading: Jailbroken 3g to Iphone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Lewiphone, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Lewiphone, Nov 10, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2010

Lewiphone macrumors newbie

Hi all

First post here so bear with me! Wondering if you guys and girls can help?

I'v just taken delivery of my new iphone 4 and want to transfer everything from my old 3g over to the new device tonight.

Currently my 3g is jailbroken (through jailbreakme) but I don't want ANY features/traces/anything to do with the jailbreak atall on my new phone, I want a complete fresh start in that respect, but want to keep all my contacts/settings/apps/photos/texts and music etc from my 3g. (especially my angry birds save data!! :))

Last night I made a backup of my 3g through itunes and was going to restore my new phone with this backup but have since read that this process does not completely remove the jailbreak.

Can anyone confirm or un-confirm this for me?

Would the only way I can transfer everything over with no trace of the jailbreak be to; set up the iphone 4 as a new phone, then transfer my contacts/settings/apps/photos/texts and music etc. across rather than do a restore?

I understand if I did this, I will lose any application save data.

Or am I completely wrong about all this?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Lewis

2. Jamie0003 macrumors 6502a

I'm not an expert at jailbreaks, but i'm pretty sure that when you jailbreak it saves your jailbreak settings to your backup, meaning your only bet is to restore the phone as fresh =(

3. Lewiphone thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply

This is what I feared.

So basically, am i right in saying my only option is to sync everything from my curent phone to itunes, then sync it all back to my new handset, thus losing any app save data/ phone settings etc...?

4. Jamie0003 macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, yes. I don't think it would matter that much if you did have jb stuff in the backup though, it shouldn't affect your phone.

5. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

If you jailbreak the IP4, you can save your data with AppBackup on the 3G, copy it to your computer and then restore it back to the IP4.

Then (if you aren't interested in keeping the jailbreak), you can take a backup in iTunes, then restore your phone from a backup. That will eliminate the jailbreak but keep the application data.

It's a few steps, but it will work and your precious Angry Birds data will be safe!