Help with upgrading MacBook Pro 13" hard drive.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TMac93, Sep 6, 2010.

1. TMac93 macrumors member

I'm very shortly going to purchase a 13" MacBook pro.

I was just wondering, will the hard drive listed in the link below work with my new MacBook pro 13"?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290470897759&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:AU:1123

Naturally, I would be installing it myself, and since I'd be doing it straight away, I don't think I have to worry about backing up and etc.

Now, if it does work, what is this particular hard drive like in terms of performance in comparison to the default hard drive that would be coming with the MacBook pro?

2. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

Many people recommend WD Blue, but I can't recommend it. I tried a 500 GB WD Blue in mine. Had to go back to the stock Toshiba drive. I couldn't live with the extra noise and the sluggishness.

If you find the big thread about it on here, you'll find many comments for and against this particular drive.

3. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

Stay way from the wd blue. I've got one and its slow as hell. And it will keep beachballing unless you change a few things on it's firmware (had to change it on a pc).
    My girlfriends MBP has an seagate 7200rpm and it works way faster than mine. Unless you need space I would recommend you to get an 7200rpm drive (seagate 7200.4 it's a very good hdd)

4. Covart Guest

Can't tell you anything about the WD Scorpio blue, but the 7200rpm Scorpio Black is an excellent drive. Very quiet, very fast and you'll be hard pressed to find anyone with complaints about it.

5. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

I just put in the seagate 7200.4 HDD - so far so good! No extra noise or vibration. Works great

6. sup3r1or macrumors regular

I just bought WD Scorpio black 7200 rpm, did not install yet.

7. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

Yep those hdd's are vey good, I've installed a few but I don't have the pleasure to have it on my mac:(