Help with upgrading Ram.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by drexl5, Jun 27, 2011.

1. drexl5 macrumors member

My imac (2.93 i7 imac) runs sluggish when im running Final Cut and Photoshop at the time, the programs lock up or the spinning ball of death comes up.Im assuming the problem is my ram because when i check " memory usage" it says 3.79 gb used. So im assuming that the Imac shipped with 4gb of ram is actually 2 2gb stick right? So im kinda on a budget so cheaper the better. I was thinking on buying a just another samsung 2 2gb sticks (factory original it says on the site) from macsales.com for giving me a total 8 gb of ram $30-40. Should i save up and get 8 or 16 gbs owc ram or just go with my plan above? Im only editing basic footage nothing professional just a hobby i do. Would 8gb be sufficient enough for me? or do i have this all wrong and someone needs to school me on ram lol?

2. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

You'll need to running the applications in 64-bit mode to take advantage of more than 4GB of RAM.

3. Bear macrumors G3

Yes a 4GB iMac has 2 * 2GB memory modules. Going to 8GB will definitely help.

My recommendation is to go to 8GB or 12GB since that would only involve adding a memory kit. Going to 16GB would actually include replacing the existing memory kit and you could do that later if it turned out to be necessary.