Help With Uprgrading MacBook Pro 13" Hard Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aesir911, Aug 12, 2010.

1. aesir911 macrumors member

I'm running out of space on my hard drive, and was wondering the cheapest way to upgrade it to 1tb. I was looking at this one http://tinyurl.com/25l7878 but am not sure if it works with my macbook pro (it is last summer's version). I don't really want to install it myself, especially because I have bootcamp (windows 7) as well on my macbook, so I was wondering what store would have the cheapest yet reliable installation. Also, what would be a good Hard Drive Enclosure Kit? Thank you so much for your help.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Boot Camp isn't an issue. Just put new drive in it and get an enclosure and put the old one in the enclosure. Then hold alt while booting and select the USB HD as boot up volume and then install Carbon Copy Cloner and use it to clone the HD to the new one. You may have to use WinClone to clone the Boot Camp partition. Any 2.5" enclosure should work, this have pretty good reviews.

3. aesir911 thread starter macrumors member

will the 1tb thing work? and i still kinda want professional help (like microcenter or apple).

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes, it will work. Why do you want/need professional help? Just follow OWC tutorial, it's not hard. Transferring the data is even easier

5. aesir911 thread starter macrumors member

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Sorry, here is for HD

7. aesir911 thread starter macrumors member

i dont have the install disk for windows, could that be a problem?

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

No, you can use WinClone

9. aesir911 thread starter macrumors member

what does carbon copy cloner and winclone do? just transfer everything (programs and files)? also, where can i get the required screwdrivers? it seems like microcenter does not have them.

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Carbon Copy Clone can clone your OS X partition to the new one, i.e. transfer EVERYTHING from an HD to HD. WinClone does the same but for Boot Camp partition.

Tools you need

11. aesir911 thread starter macrumors member

do i download them onto my current hard drive, or the new one? (do i use it before i boot or after). thanks so much for your help, i think i will install it myself. i'm just nervous about transferring everything. how long will it take to transfer do you suspect?

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Download them to your current drive as that's the drive you will be booting from when cloning the HD. To summarize:

1. Take out the old drive and put the new drive in your MBP
    2. Put the old one in external enclosure
    3. Attach the external HD and hold alt while booting and select the external HD with arrow keys and press enter
    4. Use CCC to clone your OS X partition to the new HD
    5. Use WinClone to clone your Boot Camp partition to new HD. You may have to create a new partition with Disk Utility though
    6. Shut down and detach the external HD. Boot normally.

Depends on how much data you have. I can give an estimated time if you tell me how much data you have (Right click Mac HD and select Show Info > Available)

13. aesir911 thread starter macrumors member

the mac side has about 130gb and boot camp has about 23gb. just to make sure, i do have to have carbon copy downloaded onto the hard drive that i will be removing, right? also, i've been reading and it said that winclone does not work with windows 7.

14. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I've heard there might be SOME issues but I would give it a try. You can always reinstall Windows if needed. http://twocanoes.com/discontinued/winclone/slwin7.html Here is another way to clone it

130GB takes around 72 minutes to be transferred if using USB 2.0 (30MB/s) and 23GB takes about 13 minutes.

15. aesir911 thread starter macrumors member

i no longer have the start up disc (only the product registration code). so that's why it will be a problem with windows.

16. aesir911 thread starter macrumors member

I Need Some Help With Ccc, Please Contact Me Soon.

17. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What is the issue?