Help with USB C to my iMac

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Lyons00, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Lyons00 macrumors 6502a

Hi,
    I just got the new iPad Pro from birthday...how do I backup from iTunes with usb-c to my iPad Pro usb c? Am I missing something?

Thanks, Jerry

2. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Does your iMac have a USB-c port? If not, you'll need to get the proper cable before you can connect.

3. Momof9 macrumors 6502

will I be able to do this from a PC as well? I do have the correct cables.

4. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

As long as you have the right cables and can make the connections, you should be able to.

The issue is that the new iPads only come with a USB-c to USB-c CHARGING cable in the box. That cable only supports charging, not fast data transfer. Also, it won't connect to older machines that do not have USB-c ports.

5. Lyons00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

No I don't have a USB C on my iMac 2014. I'm on the phone with Apple and they can't figure out what cable I would need. Can someone send me the link? The cables that came with the iPad Pro 11" do not work with my iMac. What cables would I need to get this to work?

Thanks, Jerry

6. BeatCrazy macrumors 68000

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Type-C-USB-Male-Cable/dp/B01GGKYS6E/

7. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

What ports do you have? USB-A? If so, this cable should work:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Powerl...618444&sr=8-4&keywords=anker+usb-c+to+usb+3.1

8. Lyons00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks all, researching both links. If I have more problems I will get back to you..
    Thank you

9. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

It's too bad that Apple didn't include an adapter in the box, at least for the first couple years., but maybe they figured that people don't plug their iPad into their computer any more? I know I haven't in many years since you can setup the device independently and sync everything through iCloud. Guess it speeds up the backup process but I just let it go in the background overnight and it's fine, but I also have 500Mbps internet.

10. BeatCrazy macrumors 68000

Pretty sure Apple would prefer you restore from iCloud. Plus, that fits in with their model to sell you more "services" aka iCloud monthly storage plans :)

11. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

This is a good point and was thinking the same thing. Make an iCloud backup first of your old iPad, then fire up the new one and do a restore from that iCloud backup.

12. Lyons00 thread starter macrumors 6502a