help with usb ethernet adaptor for macbook air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by grefwe123, May 20, 2009.

1. grefwe123 macrumors newbie

hi i just bought a generic ethernet adaptor is their any drivers or software i can install because my macbook air wont recognize my generic ethernet? please help

thnaks

2. Blackjack07 macrumors member

Blackjack07

I suppose you have tried running software update?
    What are the specs of your generic adapter?

B07

3. grefwe123 thread starter macrumors newbie

tried to update software but it still doesnt recognize macbook air their was an install cd but its all for windows the usb lan model is tm 1029

4. fteoath64 macrumors regular

fteoath64

Th only possibility of it working would be a Ralink chip in the USB ethernet becuase his woould be close enough to MBA's ethernet adapter. why go thru the hassle, the Apple USB eth dongle is just $30.

5. Veinticinco macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

...is the right answer.

6. Mactagonist macrumors 6502a

There are USB ethernet adapters that just dont work with Macs. My girlfriend bought one to use and just couldnt get it to work. I thought to google the chipset it used and found it would never work. Buy the Apple adapter, we got one cheap on craigslist.

7. stoconnell macrumors 6502

I sucked it up an bought the Apple USB->ethernet adapter. There are certain generic ones which claim OS X support--I suspect they use the same chip as the Apple-branded one (or provide their own driver, which puts you at the mercy of them updating their driver when/if Apple kernel changes break it).

8. Veinticinco macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

There, you see, not that painful was it? Not so much a 'suck it up', more of a 'mild inhale' I'd say :p

9. stoconnell macrumors 6502

I was concurring with your assessment. I long ago decided that I was going to buy the Apple-branded one given that the price was not terribly out of line with other offering esp. given the guarantee that it would work.

10. mmulin macrumors 6502

Guess I am too late with http://www.sustworks.com/site/news_usb_ethernet.html. It might have worked with your chip. MacOSX does support a few chips out of the box but not the variety on offer at the shop near you. There are also some companies like Belkin who provide MacOSX support with their products. You might want to check such issues beforehand buying equipment for your Mac.

11. grefwe123 thread starter macrumors newbie

oh well tried to look for drivers online nothing work . Oh well i just bought the real mac ethernet for $30 thank you all for the advice