Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grefwe123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
hi i just bought a generic ethernet adaptor is their any drivers or software i can install because my macbook air wont recognize my generic ethernet? please help

thnaks

grefwe123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
tried to update software but it still doesnt recognize macbook air their was an install cd but its all for windows the usb lan model is tm 1029

fteoath64

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2008
Th only possibility of it working would be a Ralink chip in the USB ethernet becuase his woould be close enough to MBA's ethernet adapter. why go thru the hassle, the Apple USB eth dongle is just $30.

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
There are USB ethernet adapters that just dont work with Macs. My girlfriend bought one to use and just couldnt get it to work. I thought to google the chipset it used and found it would never work. Buy the Apple adapter, we got one cheap on craigslist.

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Rockville (Despite REM's plea.)
I sucked it up an bought the Apple USB->ethernet adapter. There are certain generic ones which claim OS X support--I suspect they use the same chip as the Apple-branded one (or provide their own driver, which puts you at the mercy of them updating their driver when/if Apple kernel changes break it).

mmulin

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
I sucked it up an bought the Apple USB->ethernet adapter. There are certain generic ones which claim OS X support--I suspect they use the same chip as the Apple-branded one (or provide their own driver, which puts you at the mercy of them updating their driver when/if Apple kernel changes break it).

Guess I am too late with http://www.sustworks.com/site/news_usb_ethernet.html. It might have worked with your chip. MacOSX does support a few chips out of the box but not the variety on offer at the shop near you. There are also some companies like Belkin who provide MacOSX support with their products. You might want to check such issues beforehand buying equipment for your Mac.

grefwe123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
oh well tried to look for drivers online nothing work . Oh well i just bought the real mac ethernet for $30 thank you all for the advice

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.