Help with used iMac decision?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by johntarr, Dec 2, 2014.

1. johntarr macrumors newbie

Hello.
    I'm a pretty big Apple user and wanted to pick up an iMac to sit around the house for general browsing, email, some light casual games (think Terraria).

I found a used iMac that the seller listed as a late 2010 model with a 3.06Ghz Core i3. In fact, it was a late 2009 model with a 3.06Ghz Core 2 Duo.

It has 4GB RAM and an ATI Radeon HD 4670 w/ 256MB RAM.

I paid $360 for it with the wireless mouse and keyboard. He is offering to meet me to return it (2 hour drive for me) or to send me $160 back, making it a $200 purchase.

I'm a little concerned because he said this machine has had a hard drive replaced and a new screen, and the screen appears to flicker on wake up.

Any thoughts?

2. jdphoto macrumors 6502

jdphoto

Personally I'd return it and buy a different one. Depends on how much time/gas you want to spend. The fact that they didn't even know the correct processor is a little worrisome, makes you wonder about other things.

3. johntarr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I was leaning that way.
    Any other input?

4. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

It's nice that he wants to send $160 back to make up for his mistake. If you're fine with the slightly older processor take the offer, otherwise return it and get a newer model.

Some people just don't seem to know how to go into About This Mac.