Help with using 2 Linksys routers to extend wifi

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by davidg4781, Oct 17, 2013.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

My mom has two Linksys routers to help cover her house with wifi. The main one with the cable modem is in her bedroom, the 2nd in the den. They are connected via cat 5 cable.

Everything was set up properly but she had been complaining of really slow internet. Turns out she was barely connecting to the one in her bedroom. The one in the den had been factory reset and was on a totally different SSID.

I set everything back to the way I thought I had it but now we're only getting about 2.5 Mbps download, both via wifi or ethernet. From the bedroom that router is putting out 12 Mbps.

Any idea why? When done through ethernet it's being connected to the bedroom router. I think the one in the bedroom is a WRT-54G and the den is WRT-54GS2.

2. drsox, Oct 18, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2013

drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

As it's 2 non-Apple devices then you are better off putting this question to the wireless forum on SmallNetBuilder. See : http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11

3. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Is the den router setup in bridge mode? If it's acting as a router you're adding extra overhead that can slow things down.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Try changing channels. The router acting as an access point should be in bridge mode (DHCP off), connected via LAN port to the Router, and it should be assigned an IP address outside the DHCP range.

If your range is say 10.0.0.100 to 10.0.0.200 and your router is 10.0.0.1 make the access point 10.0.0.2. Assuming no other device has that address.

They should all be on the same subnet.

5. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

They're on different channels. I don't think I had the option to put it in bridge mode though. There's no setting for that.

6. Kashsystems macrumors 6502

Do both the routers have dhcp enabled?

You could be causing conflicts you may not realize.

Also you may want to make sure nothing is wrong with the cable modem itself.

7. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

It's there, perhaps labeled dhcp enabled/disabled. If you are using the POS linksys utility cd stop. Administer it through the web interface. Usually to navigate to 192.168.1.1 in your browsers's address bar.

You will need to search online to find the default password for the router's web interface. The username should be "admin" or left blank depending on the model.

Disconnect the routers from each other and disable the wireless on your computer then administer each by connecting over LAN. To avoid administering the wrong one. Once the ip settings are correct connect them together and one router will act as the router while the other will just act as a switch and access point.