Help with using ROOT USER

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by amlawrence, Dec 22, 2009.

1. amlawrence macrumors newbie

Okay. So I'm an idiot. And we'll just get that part out of the way. I was trying to do something using the root user... I read online that I could do it that way.. Well, I did, and then I logged out and tried to log back into my regular admin. And ALLLLLLL my stuff is gone. I wanna cry. Someone PLEASE tell me how to fix this. I'll love you forever and ever. :(

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. amlawrence thread starter macrumors newbie

I've had snow leopard since it came out and I didn't have this problem until I logged in with the root user. And I used the CD to upgrade it and I haven't had a problem until I tried to change something using the root user.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Please use a more specific thread title so users of this forum know what your problem is and are more obliged to help.
    You can edit your post by clicking the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your posts.

A simple "help please" won't get you far in a HELP forum.

As for you problem please be also be more specific of what you did or at least give a link to the website you read about using the root user.

5. amlawrence thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry about the thread name. I'm just freaking out because all my personal settings and everything are gone. I was trying to change my login name and whatever the thing is called.. the little house guy... I was trying to change it's name. and I read on the actual mac site about using the root user to change it. I renamed one of the folders in the little house and it moved all my stuff into there. I found that folder and it still has all my stuff in it but all my personal settings and everything else are gone. Everything was put into that folder and not where it's suppose to be. I have no idea how to go about fixing this. I was wondering if anyone knew. And I already made my appointment at the Genius Bar at the Mac store, but I was hoping to fix it before then.

Thanks.

6. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Erm, can't you drag everything out?

7. amlawrence thread starter macrumors newbie

I could but ALL my personal settings are gone. Background, bookmarks, history, everything. I need it back to how it was.

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

All your personal settings are stored under Users/YourUserNameHere/Library.
    Is that folder with its many subfolders gone?

I don't know where the backgrounds are saved though, as I just use a special folder for this.

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

They're not, they're referenced in ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist. The image itself is stored in ~/Library/Caches/Desktop.

10. amlawrence thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I found all my stuff. But nothing is the same as I had it before. And I was wondering if anyone knew how to fix it. Because even the stuff in the folders isn't where it's suppose to be.

11. amlawrence thread starter macrumors newbie

I was trying to change my short name and the Mac website said I could do it using the root user and I followed all the directions and it messed everything up. And really, it didn't work like I thought it would. And now, everything is messed up. =(

Oh, and I am using Leopard, not snow leopard. Got my computers confused.

12. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Were you using this article? I think the step you missed was creating another account, while in root user, with the new shortname. If you simply logged out after renaming the shortname, that's likely what resulted in your current predicament. Just log back in as root and complete that step via Accounts prefs.