Help with video anomoly

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by patseguin, Apr 6, 2016.

1. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I have a great 2011 MBP that I decked out with 16GB of RAM, 1 GB Samsung 850 SSD, and run it on my Dell 27" display like a desktop. Lately, I've been having this issue where strange little sprite-type blocks are appearing randomly. They are primarily purple and green and they flash in little clusters in random places. When I first noticed it, I rebooted and it seemed to go away for a day or so. Yesterday I noticed it again so I rebooted which didn't resolve it. I unplugged the displayport cable and it seemed to clear up for about 2 minutes then started up again.

Anyone able to help me troubleshoot this without my having to take it to the Apple store? I keep the machine on a cooling plate so it shouldn't be overheating. I disabled automatic graphics switching a while back since I don't use the battery.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Graphics card. As the 15/17" 2011s have a documented issue with the Radeons failing, this should be covered under consumer law. If you go to the Apple Store, they should be able to replace the MLB for free, even though you're out of warranty.

3. patseguin thread starter macrumors 65816

patseguin

Oh wow, OK that's great to know. Thanks so much!