Help with Video Chatting

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Dave00, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Dave00 macrumors 6502a

I'm looking for some help setting up video chatting and/or saving Christmas. :)

We have an iMac G5, and are soon to be proud owners of a new MacBook. My brother-in-law, a switcher, just got a MacBook. My mother-in-law, unfortunately, is still using a PC with Windows XP. Since it looks like we aren't going to be able to get together for the holidays, I was hoping to surprise the in-laws with a webcam, so that we can see each other for Christmas. I know this is simple enough to do if everyone has a mac, but what should I do to include the in-laws in the loop? Does iChat talk to PC's? Should we all create Skype accounts? By the way, everyone has broadband so that's not a concern.

Thanks!

2. forrestmc4 macrumors regular

Your situation is more likely to be complicated by software than hardware. While ichat works just fine with windows clients the problem is that most of those clients do no support multiway conferencing as far as i know. Skype may be the way to go.

3. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Another vote for Skype here. Works well with Mac and PC users.

4. Dave00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So then do I just download a Skype application for the two Macbooks and one Windows PC, and find a Skype-compatible webcam for the PC? Any way to find out if a webcam is compatible with both Skype and iChat? I don't see any real likelihood of all three parties trying to conference at once, I just need something for two-way video.

Dave