Help with video on .mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Littlebit, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Littlebit macrumors member

Hello all!

I've been researching this for several days and have decided that although I know what I want to do, I don't know how to go about it...maybe someone here can put me on the right track so I can research some more and get it done.

I have a rather large (60 minute) video that I want to put onto my hubby's .Mac account.. It's just shy 500meg when compressed. Hubby knows how to put the video onto the site, but not with the "rules", if you will, that I want:

1. I want the video to be private; viewable by emailed invitation only
    2. If the person who get the emailed invitation sends it to a 3rd party, I don't want that 3rd party to be able to view the video

YouTube has such parameters for videos labeled "private" but I'd be stuck with their 10-minute limits (I'd rather not break the video up into 6 parts) and only 25 emailed invitations (I'll probably have closer to 75 to 100 emailed invitees). I'm willing to go that route if I absolutely have to (I could post 3 or 4 copies of each of the 6 videos so I could have enough for everyone, but it'd be a PITA) but before I do, I'm giving this a last-ditch effort.

I've checked other online video hosting sites and none suit my purposes...either they don't allow as much space/time as I need or the invitation can be transferred from person to person.

I have never, ever used a web publishing program in my life. I'm not very savvy when it comes to computers but if it's a program that is relatively simple, I'm hoping I can figure it out. Freeware or shareware would be appreciated.

Is there anything out there that would suit my purposes? Or should I bite the bullet and stick to YouTube?

Thanks!

Littlebit
    MacBook Pro, OS X 10.5.1, Leopard, iMovie 7.1.1

2. millap macrumors regular

If you have iMovie '08, you can simply go to the share menu and publish to a .mac web gallery. There is an option to add a request for a username and password to view the movie.

Attached Files:

3. Littlebit thread starter macrumors member

Thank-you but to clarify...if I emailed the username and password to Person #1 and he, in turn, emailed them to Person #2, wouldn't Person #2 be able to log in and see the video as well? Granted, I know I could just ask Person #1 to "not give anyone else the username and password" but since I don't know most of the people very well, I don't know if I can trust them to not distribute the login information. Ideally, I would like to know that the only people who see the video are only the ones who I give permission to.

4. millap macrumors regular

The online help states that you can only set one password per movie file, so I don't think that you will be able to implement the kind of security that you are looking for.

Even if you were able to create 75-100 unique passwords and email them to people, you still wouldn't know if any of those people had passed the info on to someone else, therefore you wouldn't know which password to remove. In any case, once someone decides to post a copy of the vid on YouTube themselves, it's game over.

5. Littlebit thread starter macrumors member