Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zaper3095

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2008
Well, I purchased Windows Vista SP1 x64 for bootcamp and it installed just fine at first. When I went to install he drivers, I found that 64 bit isn't compatible with my iMac. It really sucks. I don't wanna have to buy Vista again so, if anyone knows how to install Vista SP1 x64 on a 20' iMac, please tell me! I'll be very grateful! :)

ninjapenguinart

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
Well, I purchased Windows Vista SP1 x64 for bootcamp and it installed just fine at first. When I went to install he drivers, I found that 64 bit isn't compatible with my iMac. It really sucks. I don't wanna have to buy Vista again so, if anyone knows how to install Vista SP1 x64 on a 20' iMac, please tell me! I'll be very grateful! :)

When I tried to install Vista SP1 x64 on my iMac, I just installed all of the drivers manually by using the install cd, and manually installing all of the main drivers in there, but I couldn't do it with bootcamp 2.1. I got kinda peeved at Vista though so I switched back to XP SP3.

Sousa203

macrumors member
I'm sorry Zaper, but WHAT IN THE WORLD PROVOKED YOU TO DO SUCH AN EVIL THING AS PURCHASE WINDOWS VISTA? IT IS A COMPUTER LAGGING SUCCUBUS LOL. I had to get that out of my system. I can pretty much gaurantee that the main reason you have problems is because you have Vista on there. XP is the way to go my friend.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
I'm sorry Zaper, but WHAT IN THE WORLD PROVOKED YOU TO DO SUCH AN EVIL THING AS PURCHASE WINDOWS VISTA? IT IS A COMPUTER LAGGING SUCCUBUS LOL. I had to get that out of my system. I can pretty much gaurantee that the main reason you have problems is because you have Vista on there. XP is the way to go my friend.

Way to show off your ignorance. You can guarantee his problems are simply "because of Vista"? Stop talking out of your ass. Microsoft's not the one to blame here, blame Apple for STILL not allowing 64-bit drivers to run on "older" Macs (pre-2008) even though they EASILY could. Vista 64 is awesome.

ninjapenguinart

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
Way to show off your ignorance. You can guarantee his problems are simply "because of Vista"? Stop talking out of your ass. Microsoft's not the one to blame here, blame Apple for STILL not allowing 64-bit drivers to run on "older" Macs (pre-2008) even though they EASILY could. Vista 64 is awesome.

I have a brand new iMac, but when I try to install the bootcamp drivers automatically from the cd on Vista x64 SP1 Ultimate it cannot do it.
1. because apple needs to get into gear and update their bootcamp drivers.
2. Vista still pissed me off because I didn't think it should be necessary to act as if i was a complete idiot when you do a fresh install, which forces me to actually go in and just completely modify all of the settings, which is too much time and hassle that I do not have. So I think when you install Vista it should ask, "Do you plan on using anti-virus software asap? If yes it only asks you once if you want to fricking install a dang thing >_<, if no then it doesn't install at all"

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
I have a brand new iMac, but when I try to install the bootcamp drivers automatically from the cd on Vista x64 SP1 Ultimate it cannot do it.
1. because apple needs to get into gear and update their bootcamp drivers.
2. Vista still pissed me off because I didn't think it should be necessary to act as if i was a complete idiot when you do a fresh install, which forces me to actually go in and just completely modify all of the settings, which is too much time and hassle that I do not have. So I think when you install Vista it should ask, "Do you plan on using anti-virus software asap? If yes it only asks you once if you want to fricking install a dang thing >_<, if no then it doesn't install at all"

You want Vista to ask you if you plan on using anti-virus software asap? Leopard doesn't even do that. Did you simply try installing the anti-virus software manually? Did you expect it to install Firefox for you too? I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

And what do you mean Vista thinks you're a complete idiot because you had to modify a bunch of settings? Most computer users are complete idiots. 95% of problems happen from the other side of the keyboard. How is it supposed to know you want the settings that way? Leopard doesn't come with "pre-configured" settings for you either. The drivers not working I can understand you being upset about, but the other stuff just sounds like you're complaining just to complain.

ninjapenguinart

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
You want Vista to ask you if you plan on using anti-virus software asap? Leopard doesn't even do that. Did you simply try installing the anti-virus software manually? Did you expect it to install Firefox for you too? I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

And what do you mean Vista thinks you're a complete idiot because you had to modify a bunch of settings? Most computer users are complete idiots. 95% of problems happen from the other side of the keyboard. How is it supposed to know you want the settings that way? Leopard doesn't come with "pre-configured" settings for you either. The drivers not working I can understand you being upset about, but the other stuff just sounds like you're complaining just to complain.

No, what I was saying is I wish that it's security settings weren't set default to annoying. Installing a simple plug-in off the internet was a pain, because it kept asking me like 5 times if I wanted to install the thing, and I am complaining just to complain that the settings should be set in the middle by default. Asking me just once is enough for me to change my mind. That's how OS X does it that's how XP does it and that's how Ubuntu does it and it's worked pretty nicely so far. Also, next time when you read something really read it, because I stated when you are installing Vista. So it's not that I want Vista to install some anti-virus software because it'd probably be crap.

Sousa203

macrumors member

Ok. I admit i went on an unprovoked Anti-Vista (not Anti-Microsoft) tyrade, but for the record i have no personal problems with Microsoft because aside from Mac OSX my personal fav. OS is XP;)
And i am not talking out of my ass. The persistent problems and complications with Vista can most certainly be held accountable for at least some of the increase in Apple's Desktop and Notebook sales (even if it is miniscule). The fact of the matter is that even lifetime PC users (like myself) simply cannot wrap our heads around the fact that Vista can have so many problems when the older XP can work great. I'm not trying to say that XP is without complications or crashes (i've been known to become frustrated with XP and spend hundreds on repairs) because that is not the case. All OS's have problems, even the almost perfect OSX. I was simply saying that if XP was the Windows OS he was trying to install, things had a 90% chance of going better, and Yes, I can gaurantee that.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
No, what I was saying is I wish that it's security settings weren't set default to annoying. Installing a simple plug-in off the internet was a pain, because it kept asking me like 5 times if I wanted to install the thing, and I am complaining just to complain that the settings should be set in the middle by default. Asking me just once is enough for me to change my mind. That's how OS X does it that's how XP does it and that's how Ubuntu does it and it's worked pretty nicely so far. Also, next time when you read something really read it, because I stated when you are installing Vista. So it's not that I want Vista to install some anti-virus software because it'd probably be crap.

Ah, yeah I feel you on the UAC thing. Vista isn't perfect (and hopefully Windows 7 is a big improvement), but yeah...that's one of the setbacks. It's kind of nice_at times_when you're installing things, but for the most part it's about as effective as CD keys against piracy (i.e., useless).

Ok. I admit i went on an unprovoked Anti-Vista (not Anti-Microsoft) tyrade, but for the record i have no personal problems with Microsoft because aside from Mac OSX my personal fav. OS is XP;)
And i am not talking out of my ass. The persistent problems and complications with Vista can most certainly be held accountable for at least some of the increase in Apple's Desktop and Notebook sales (even if it is miniscule). The fact of the matter is that even lifetime PC users (like myself) simply cannot wrap our heads around the fact that Vista can have so many problems when the older XP can work great. I'm not trying to say that XP is without complications or crashes (i've been known to become frustrated with XP and spend hundreds on repairs) because that is not the case. All OS's have problems, even the almost perfect OSX. I was simply saying that if XP was the Windows OS he was trying to install, things had a 90% chance of going better, and Yes, I can gaurantee that.

Moving forward with an OS is always going to result in problems. Leopard and Vista were going for a similar effect when they were both being developed (both were to have a lot of under the hood changes/improvements, along with UI changes). Leopard just happens to have a lot less major issues (compared to Vista) coming out of the tunnel. You think XP was so prefect as you make it sound when it first came out? XP was treated the exact same way as Vista is being treated, up until around SP2 was released). "Why go to XP? Win 2000 is better and faster. XP is just extra eye candy." Sound familiar?

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Sorry to disturb he harmony of the thread... but currently only Mac Pro and MBP (both Apple Pros) support any Win 64bit!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.