Help with VNC

Discussion in 'macOS' started by The General, Apr 25, 2007.

1. The General macrumors 601

Okay so basically I have a Mac Pro that I need to control remotely with VNC (unless there is a better way) and by remotely I mean from my office across town to my house.

I enabled VNC by going to System Preferences -> Sharing -> Apple Remote Desktop -> Access Privileges... -> VNC. I downloaded Chicken of the VNC and put it on my MacBook. It works fine when I'm at home, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it from outside of my LAN.

I have my IP address, but it doesn't want to connect. Do I need to forward some ports or something like I do with bittorrent clients?

Also, my IP address is dynamic ... is there any way I can use my .Mac account or something ... so that I can just type in for example mac.com/myaccountname instead of having to remember my IP address and all that?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

If your mac pro is behind a router then you will need to forward to appropriate ports.

As far as what IP address to connect. Check out a service like dyndns.com This will allow you to choose a name to connect to, rather than having to remember the IP.

3. The General thread starter macrumors 601

Which are the appropriate ports? Or how do I figure that out? :confused:

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

TCP 3283, 5900
    UDP 3283, 5900

(According to the sharing prefs control panel)

5. The General thread starter macrumors 601

I don't see that anywhere but I'll take your word for it and try tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Prefs->Sharing->Firewall->Apple Remote Desktop->Edit