Help with web design

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by bballer54, Dec 31, 2013.

1. bballer54 macrumors newbie

i want to create a website for a competition at my work. we are going to have a fitness competition between different clinics. i want to make a site where a person can log on to their account, access their profile (which will display their number of minutes of workout, number of miles biked, and number of miles ran), there will be a button that they can press to add a workout, where they will specify the number of minutes, and distance ran or biked. Each account will be part of a clinic. then, another page on the site will have a chart showing the top clinics based on mileage, and based on distance ran or biked. also, another page will show the top individual people that have ran or bike for the most mileage or minutes. My question is: what is the best way to go about creating this. i can spend some money, but i do not want to send it off to some professional web designer, i want to do it myself.

right now i think that the best option would be wordpress and then something else like godaddy hosting or something, but how do i go about making such a website?

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO CODE IN HTML OR PHP nor do I HAVE any DESIRE TO LEARN. thank you so much

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

That isn't something you can do in one weekend, nor is it something you can accomplish in WordPress without custom plugins. This is something suitable for a programmer.

3. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Not possible in a weekend. Not by one person, even with coding knowledge. This would take an experienced person with web design knowledge to even consider doing. It would be a considerable amount of work to set up a site like this depending on the amount of people that would be using it as well.

4. bballer54 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, thats good to know. the people at wordpress have apparently decieved me about the capabilities of their program.

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Which people at Wordpress? It is free and quite capable in the right hands. But your goal, unrealistic timeline, lack of skill and unwillingness to put in any effort pretty much puts the kibosh on such a project.

6. bballer54 thread starter macrumors newbie

in my question i never set a timeline, i have over a month to make this website. I am very skilled in other languages, and i know how to work with web design. I've made plenty of websites before, but never with multiple user accounts and never as complicated as this one. i am perfectly willing to spend as much time as i need to make this, and i can put in as much effort as i need to.

The people at wordpress said that i could design my website using their software. The people on this forum said that i could not. that is how they decieved me.

7. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

You CAN use WordPress. The thing is that you'd have to make the plugin for the data so that people can submit it, display it, etc. The multi-user part of it is there too, you'd just have to add another plugin for custom fields like clinic information.

Easy enough to theme it afterwards though.

8. laurim macrumors 68000

laurim

Wordpress is just a CMS. Yes, you can build any website with WordPress and use it to manage the content BUT you have to have the html/php skills to customize it beyond the standard blog site they offer in the box. There are many widgets people have developed to go beyond the simple blog but there isn't necessarily a widget for your very specific needs. The WordPress people did NOT deceive you and the people here are simply telling you that you probably aren't capable of doing what you need to do to have the special functionalities you want. Just the fact that you don't know PHP would, in itself, make it difficult just to put your own design on the WordPress system since it involves editing the myriad of pieces that comprise a WordPress dynamic template. Then you've got to understand SQL database design and access just to keep track of people's stats and designing the forms they would use to get their information into the database. Do you know SQL?

9. bballer54 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you, that clears things up alot. When they said that wordpress wouldnt work for me, i thought that they meant the software, not the designer (me). i am moderatly profecient in sql, but i am by no means a expert.

thanks for the help everybody, i appreciate it.

10. laurim macrumors 68000

laurim

11. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

It's quite possible for a competent programmer to code this in a weekend. The site may not look pretty, but the mechanics could be done. OP, you need people who can code and design.

12. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I don't disagree with you at all. It would have to be someone with good programming skills and the OP has made it clear in their post they do not seem interested in doing it themselves or fully have the skills.

It would certainly be costly to hire someone capable enough to create it in such a small time frame. And as you stated it may not be the most professional looking, but that can be fine tuned over the next few weeks. As long as the basics are there for them to get started with.

Two people would probably be better. One designer and one programmer. But then cost rise even more. It is up to the OP if they want to spend that kind of money though, and they do not.

It is a catch 22 with the OP not really wanting to do it themselves and not wanting to hire a professional to do it. My response was purely to what the OP posted.

13. samwich macrumors regular

If I had to do it, I'd try Drupal with some custom profile fields and then use Views to aggregate and display the results. Basic Drupal would provide the functionality to have users have accounts and profiles. Views would be able to sort/display/add up a bunch of user's profile fields based on certain criteria (clinics). Depending on how you want to implement the adding a new workout you may need an additional module.

I think you got some negative comments because you explicitly said that you don't want to learn anything new but you also said you don't have any web experience. People tend to be more helpful to people who have an open mind.