Help with Web design

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Bulldog VII, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Bulldog VII macrumors 6502

Bulldog VII

Hi all

I want to create a website & wanted to know if anyone can point me in the right direction of what programs I need to use??

Thanks

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Please see the stickies in the forum, which are also linked in my signature.

3. Bulldog VII thread starter macrumors 6502

Bulldog VII

Thanks for that only I'm still none the wiser for what I need to download to install to use??

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Go to their web site and BUY them.

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

There are dozens of apps you can use, no specific ones are necessary. You just need to find what meets your needs. If you're planning to code by hand all you need is a text editor, and there's tons of those. If you want a WYSIWYG editor, the list is smaller. It also depends on if you're willing to pay for the app. There's also image editing software if you need any of that. You'll need a FTP program if you're site is going to be hosted somewhere on the net, or you can just run the site locally on your machine if you're just testing things.

There's lots of variables here, that's why I pointed you to the stickies. If you want specific, make a more specific question, e.g., "I want to just design and not look at code, and am willing to pay for apps under $50." Or "I want to really learn things and know how to code them, and don't want to pay any money."

I don't know your background or your desires, so please write posts assuming people can't read your mind. ;)

6. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

just get bbedit and gimp to start with and find some xhtml and css tuts online

7. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

If you really want to get into it, purchase a dreamweaver license. This has to be the best program I have ever used both text coding and WYSIWYG design.

www.tutorialized.com is one of the sites I used to frequently visit when I first started this profession. Give it a view.

8. Maximillian macrumors 6502

Get BBEdit (or textwrangler, which is the lite/free version of BBEdit) and learn HTML. If you want to understand how a webpage works, don't get Dreamweaver or use iWeb, etc. Drag-and-drop web design teaches you the wrong way to do things and won't help in the future.

9. wheelhot macrumors 68020

Yeah, low end stuffs is good if you are starting out to learn HTML, DW tend to modify the code something like that.