Help with weird rendering of page on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PmattF, Nov 8, 2007.

1. PmattF macrumors member

I am working on a website http://justcauseit.com. On Mac Safari (and other browsers we have tested) it works fine. But if you open that url in iPhone Safari, there is a very strange rendering glitch where the background banner image at the top of the page shows up twice.

Are there any html experts out there that can tell me what is causing this?

2. badtzmaru macrumors 6502

3. PmattF thread starter macrumors member

1300 pixels, I believe.

4. badtzmaru macrumors 6502

I don't have an exact answer for you but I believe your issue has something to do with the way safari "resizes" images for display. It was explained at a tech talk I went to but I can't recall the details off the top of my head.

If you check the iphone tech dev site, you might find some answers. Wish I could be of more help.

5. wareagle1982 macrumors newbie

I took a look at your code and I can offer a few suggestions. First, your !DOCTYPE is xhtml 1.0 strict, but your code does not validate to this standard. Before you start trying to troubleshoot any funny issues like this, it is important to know that you are starting with clean, valid code.

Secondly, I took a look at your css. The code for the #header div looks like this:

#header {
    background-color: #444;
    background-image: url(/sites/default/themes/justcause/images/jc/header-background.jpg);
    background-repeat: repeat-y;
    background-position: center top;
    }

I belive the problem you are having relates to the repeat-y declaration. There is no need for this background image to repeat. Instead, change this to the following code: background-repeat: no-repeat;

I bet this will fix your problem.

Jonathan

6. PmattF thread starter macrumors member

You are right, this solves the problem. Thanks so much for the help!