Help with what to check on a macbook pro off craigslist

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jriddel, Sep 13, 2008.

1. jriddel macrumors newbie

Ok so seemingly incredible deal I just found locally on craigslist. Its a 15" Macbook pro 2.16 Ghz 2G Ram and 120G hard drive for like $620. He says there is a dent and a few scratches but his picture looks legit. I want to meet up with him to see if there is anything wrong with the machine but what all should I look for? This is my first mac and I have been waiting on the new revision but if I can pick up a great machine for that price I will just get that now.

So what all should I look for?

Is this a good deal?

Thanks and let me know!

2. G5power macrumors 6502

Be careful as there are a lot of MacBook Pro ads on Craigslist that are posted all over the country every day. Many of these use the same pictures and similar text.

The scam ads will reply with some story about being overseas or somewhere else and want you to send or wire money. They will often mention some bogus 3rd party company that will deliver the computer once you send money.

The most important rule on Craigslist is never buy until you see the item in person. Never send a money order / western union or anything of that kind.

Craigslist works fine if you meet at a public place and carefully look over the item. I usually take a friend along and meet at a coffee shop. Remember that nothing is a good deal just because the seller says it is.

There are some sticky threads that will give you more information on this forum.

3. eman macrumors 6502a

G5power is correct. I buy a lot of stuff on Craigslist. I meet in person, in a public spot and pay cash. If I send money, it's always with Paypal and it is put on my charge card ( for dispute privileges).Any other way is too risky.

4. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

5. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.