Help with wi-fi issue

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by NickDoughty, Nov 10, 2008.

1. NickDoughty macrumors newbie

I am having a problem with my wifi on my 2G ipod touch. i cannot pickup the networks that i usually pickup(neighbors). my sisters 1g ipod touch picks them up. i dont know what is going on i can usually get on this network. i tried resetting my network settings but didnt do anything. help please.

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

For some reason the 2G iPod touch has problems picking up networks that the 1G can pick up just fine, and it has to be relatively closer to the router in order to use the internet. For example, on my 1G I could sit in my living room (about 20 metres away) and have full bars on my Wi Fi indicator. On my 2G it alternates between 1 and 2 bars when I'm sitting in the same spot.
    With your problem, that has happened to me several times before. I would be using Safari or would even just be listening to music and suddenly the indicator disappears, going into Settings there would be no networks listed despite the fact that I was sitting almost right next to the router. For me it's always sorted itself out after a few minutes, so I hope yours starts working again.

...do your neighbours happen to know that you/your sister are using their internet? Otherwise it's illegal and it wasn't a good idea to post about it here.

3. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

So are you supposed to check with the person or establishment to see if you can use their wifi? How do you know where it is coming from? I thought that if it wasn't locked (lock icon on ipod), you could use it legally. This would make it a real hassle to use wifi in areas that you are not familiar with, like traveling into another state. I just use whatever is available where I am at, if it isn't locked.