Help with windows 7 + 2010 mbp + optibay

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by pyrodex, Aug 25, 2010.

1. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

First off let state I've never had this issue until the optibay. I have the following:

MBP 15" i7 2010
    128gb ssd
    500 gb (bootcamp/user home dir)
    Optibay USB case for orig SuperDrive

So here is my problem, i can't install windows 7 64bit to save my life. I've tried the following:

- typical DVD based install, however when it boots to install via DVD I keep getting the apple boot logo flash back and forth with a circle with line through it logo. Not sure why, since it's the original SuperDrive attached via USB.
    - tried refit with USB DVD, still no luck. Receive legacy USB errors.
    - tried refit with USB windows 7 flash install. Receive legacy USB errors.

So has anyone had any luck with the optibay USB case with the original SuperDrive? Do I need another USB DVD drive that will work just fine? Anyone have any written procedure that doesn't involve virtual machine software to just install the os?

2. mhgator05 macrumors newbie

Success

I installed Win 7 64 off my optibay enclosure a couple weeks ago. I had the problem with the logo flashing back and forth. I did something to get past it but don't remember for sure. I think I hit escape or rebooted.

Once the install was done and the system was rebooting into windows to complete the install I got the same thing and I rebooted while holding down the option key which let me select my boot camp partition.

Hopefully my fuzzy memory will help but it can be done.

3. pyrodex thread starter macrumors 6502

pyrodex

I tried both escape and rebooted and here is what I observed:

Escape:

The logo of the circle with a line through it disappeared then an icon with a folder and a question mark in it showed up for a second and disappeared.

Rebooting:

While rebooting I held down the OPTION key to select the DVD drive and got presented with two CD boot options. The first one was Windows which when I did that step I saw the same cycling of the apple logo and circle with line. The other option was EFI boot and then got presented with the normal "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD" which I pressed the any key (kidding) and then the windows installer bar showed up on the screen and now I am sitting here watching it stuck at a FULL grey bar with the "Windows is loading files..." line.

Any thoughts?

4. ssn637 macrumors 6502

I've got a similar configuration on my 13" 2010 MBP, and found when installing Windows 7 x64 Ultimate to the SSD drive located in the OptiBay adapter using the original SuperDrive that unless both USB cables were connected (one for AC power provided by the laptop, the other a USB interface) the installation would not complete properly. I even had to ensure the AC power cable was plugged into a specific USB slot on the notebook (I think it was the rear port) for Windows 7 to load properly. After each restart during the installation process (there are two) you need to push ALT to select the Windows partition. Hope this helps.

5. pyrodex thread starter macrumors 6502

pyrodex

Thanks for the tidbits.

Tried it with no luck, I am able to boot the DVD like normal and get to the point with "Windows is loading files..." and it has been like that for a while now. I also tried reversing the cables to see if it was something weird and same thing.

6. ssn637 macrumors 6502

Bummer...
    A dumb question, but did you verify the DVD using another PC or virtual machine? Is this a retail DVD or did you burn it yourself using an ISO image?

7. pyrodex thread starter macrumors 6502

pyrodex

Downloaded from MS's site checked MD5sum of the download before the burn. I've burned 3 dvds on 3 different machines and also even tried the 32bit version.

8. vidalksa macrumors newbie

Had similar problem, win7 installation could not finished properly, stalled at the end of the process.

Removing the internal Optibay from my macbook has been the only working solution I found.

When installed, I remounted the internal Optibay and now everything working properly.

:apple: MBP 13" Unibody 2.66GHZ CPU|500GB|7200RPM|4GB RAM|OPTIBAY|500GB

9. pyrodex thread starter macrumors 6502

pyrodex

Did you fully remove the optibay and re-insert the DVD or did you just disconnect the SATA cable? I need to go back inside my laptop and replace the optibay with a new one since MCE sent me a model with a botched model for the back screws but that is going to happen Friday.

10. vidalksa macrumors newbie

Yes I fully removed the Optibay, replaced the DVD player in and installed Windows 7 without any problem.
    Later after all the update and Bootcamp installation I put back the Optibay.
    Everything OK now.

:apple: MBP 13" Unibody 2.66GHZ CPU|500GB|7200RPM|4GB RAM|OPTIBAY|500GB

11. Yakob macrumors member

Yep went through the same problem last week... had to take out my ssd and put the disk drive back in.

Just a FYI though assuming all OS X system files are on your SSD you should parttion your Bootcamp volume to your original HD before you pull your SSD out (kinda obviuse but you'll be kicking your self if you forgot to ;))

And if you hold down the C button while turning your computer on it will boot automatically from your disk drive, where-ever it happens to be. By doing this you don't need to have your OS X boot volume (SSD) installed in your system at all. Once your into windows installer it'll see the BOOTCAMP volume and just fallow apple's instructions from there.

Hope this helps things go smoothly..