help with windows....

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Afbar1114, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

Ok so one of my professors is requiring us to buy a business plan software but it is only for windows. so i emailed her to inform her of this and she wants me to either get a loner laptop or use the online version which is not compatible with the software she wants. so i see maybe my only option is to get windows installed on my MBP. but i am trying to figure out how. I have a 256SSD and the 500GB in the optical bay. should i install windows on to SSD? then partition
    the HHD into 2-3 sections. one being for windows. one for mac and one that i can access on both or is there a way to access the HDD on both?

2. xcodeSyn macrumors 6502a

Since your MBP came with an internal optical drive, you won't be able to install Windows under Boot Camp without using the internal drive with a DVD Install disc. It's much simpler to use a Windows machine to run the software and I'm sure you can find one in a computer lab on campus. Another option is to use VM software such as Parallels to run Windows since the business software won't require much computing resource as a 3D software normally would.

3. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yea the thing is we can't install software to computers on campus and i am not looking to buy a PC. If i need to install windows i will use vmfusion. but is windows 8 good? cant find 7 anywhere

4. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

You can use Bootcamp, or use a VM app such as Oracle VirtualBox (FREE!). As for getting Windows on your Mac, find a friend with a Windows computer, get a flash drive of suitable size (8 GB drives are cheap) and do this to get the Windows installer onto a flash drive.

Install to your destination of choice (Bootcamp or VM software) and activate with the key you got when you bought your copy of Windows.

5. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

That won't work on a MBP with an optical drive.

6. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

And why not? Note that I directed the OP to enlist the assistance of a friend with a Windows computer (actually, ANY computer that can make an ISO will work). BootCamp supports copying an ISO of the Windows DVD to flash media during the setup of Bootcamp, see page 5, step 2 #2 here

7. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

I would simply install VMWare or Parallels. Put your VM's on the 500GB HD so you don't outgrow your SSD when the VM expands. VMWare is great, I use version 5.03 and also Parallels 9. If you can shell out for Parallels 9, WinAnything is so fast, you won't even notice it's a VM.

8. artblue macrumors newbie

My laptop will not download CDs or DVDs in the disc drive I am unable use ITunes it does not show the downloads,I just wondered if system restore would help.