Help with wired Network

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kenpen, Dec 26, 2009.

1. kenpen macrumors newbie

Hi
    I have a macbook and am trying to set up a small wired/wireless network at home. I am trying to wire my macbook through a gigabit switch with the router and a Nas D-Link 323 also attached to the switch. There will also be a PC which will be wireless and does not need access to the D-Link.
    I can connect to the internet ok and have the pc working wirelessly too however I am at a loss as to how to get the mac talking to the Nas. The lights are all on on the switch but I cant figure out what I need to do to get the D-Link to talk to the mac. I am using cat 5 cables. If I log into the router the D-link shows up as an attached device with an ip address and a mac address.
    Can anyone help? I have a feeling that I should be doing something in the network settings but I don't know what. Please can anyone help I am really struggling with this?

2. -AJ- macrumors newbie

I have a similar setup with a macbook and a DNS-323. File sharing between the Dlink and the macbook works well.

Couple questions:

-What router do you have?
    -What firmware version is the Dlink?
    -Does the Dlink have a static IP address?
    -Is there an SMB share set up on the Dlink (simple question but just checking)?

My config tips (try these in order and see if you can connect to the dlink from the macbook after each one):
    1. Give the dlink a static IP addr, and in finder hit command-k and enter in the address of the dlink as the machine to connect to e.g. smb://192.168.1.10 or whatever
    2. Set the macbook workgroup name (system settings->network->advanced->wins) to the same as the DNS-323, see if it appears in finder
    3. Upgrade the dlink to fw 1.08b8 (google DNS-323 beta 1.08 and you'll find it) and install the Bonjour add-in, makes networking with the mac easy
    4. Make sure the option for IGMP snooping is turned off in your router if it supports it (long shot but this caused me a lot of grief, I think it is a bug in my router's fw).

Good luck, let us know how you go.

Toodles,

AJ

3. kenpen thread starter macrumors newbie

wired network

Hi
    Thanks for the reply. I have assigned a static ip address and installed the latest filmware on the D-Link. Smb is on and my router does not seem to support the snooping, its a sky router.

I have been looking into installing Bonjour on the D-Link but it all seems abit out of my league, or I may be looking at the wrong instructions. Still not picking up the D-Link on the wired network.

Can you advise me on installing Bonjour.

regards

4. seepel macrumors 6502

seepel

Simplest question, can you ping the DLink? Open up Terminal.app and type

Code:
    ping -c 1 192.168.1.10
    of course replacing 192.168.1.10 with the static ip you gave to your DLink. You should get a response something like this...

Code:
     ping -c 1 google.com
    PING google.com (64.233.169.105): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 64.233.169.105: icmp_seq=0 ttl=240 time=47.549 ms

--- google.com ping statistics ---
    1 packets transmitted, 1 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 47.549/47.549/47.549/0.000 ms

This is always my first step when debugging networking problems. You can also do this by openning Applications->Utilities->Network Utility.app. It's under the ping tab.

5. -AJ- macrumors newbie

Did you try setting the workgroup name on both the dlink and macbook, and also the command-k method in finder? Either of these should have resulted in you connecting to the 323....

To install Bonjour on the 323, upgrade the firmware to 1.08b8, up can get it from here: ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Multimedia/dns323/Beta/Firmware

1.08 supports the concept of addons, which are features you can separately download and install on the 323. The process is simple (much the same as upgrading firmware) and the bonjour plugin is located here: ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Multimedia/dns323/Beta/Apps - get the one with the word Bonjour in it. You then upload this via the dlink web interface in Advanced->Add-ons.

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

Sorry to dredge up an old thread (and hijack it in the process), but I cannot find the Bonjour apkg download on D-Link's site. The Beta folder does not exist in the dns323 folder on the FTP and I can't seem to find any mirrors or links anywhere else online. I know there's an option to install fun_plug and avahi to enable Bonjour, but that is beyond my expertise. Are there any other (simpler) options to installing Bonjour on the DNS-323?