Help with wireless broadband connection on my mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by myanmac, Sep 27, 2009.

1. myanmac macrumors newbie

Hi there, I have a 12" Apple Powerbook G4 aluminium and I am trying to set it up to work wirelessly on my sky broadband router. I already have the sky broadband router setup via ethernet cable on an ibook G4 and it works fine, but cant get it to work on the powerbook with or without ethernet cable. I would prefer wireless connection so I can move around the home. Can this be done on this machine, can anyone offer any help/advice please as I have to admit that I am not very knowledgeable in the tecnichal side of things?:confused::)

2. johnrs macrumors 6502a

Hi, First thing is can your PB see the wireless routers SSID. if not then is wireless turned on your PB and also the sky router. also have you every used wireless with your PB

sorry if they seem basic questions

also is it the netgear version of the Sky Router

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

I'd make sure you can get it to work with the ethernet cable first.
    Maybe you have something odd set in Network preferences.
    Try opening system preferences -> network and see what you find.

4. myanmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks for your responses. I have never used wireless on this powerbook before, and after some reflection I'm not sure if the powerbook G4 12" aluminium actually has wireless capability. Do I need to get some sort of usb dongle which will enable it to recognise the sky router I already have running?

5. Gee macrumors 65816

The original 12" did not have wifi card in it. Check in Apple Menu > About this Mac > More info and see if you have one listed....

6. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

The original 867 hz PB 12" did not come with a wireless card, but every other permutation did. I would be really surprised to see one without an airport card. Just remember these early airport cards are 802.11b! They will throttle down any wireless router you have every time you turn the card on. If it is the only machine, no problem, but if you have other newer macs with 802.11g or n they will see a noticable slow down in the network.
    When you check the hardware profile to see if there is an airport card present or not, check ebay for one of the later cards that are 802.11g compliant if you can find one, otherwise you will have to get a USB wireless adapter. And then, many of them are USB 2.0, not USB 1.0 so you may have problems there.