Help with wireless connection!! "Connection timeout"

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by earjax, Feb 27, 2011.

1. earjax macrumors newbie

Okay, basically we got a new router yesterday, its an N300 wireless dual band adsl2+Modem Router, because our old 02 thomson wireless box stopped working for unknown reasons. I had already had issues with the old router, where it would disconnect randomly especially after it had gone to sleep. Now, my mac refuses to connect to the new router, the router works fine on our PC which is where it is based at, and works fine on my sisters laptop. The mac recognizes the network, as its name "NETGEAR-2.4-G" however it also recognizes "NETGEAR-DualBand-N" I don't know why this is, but on our router login, it says that "NETGEAR-2.4-G" is its "Name (11G SSID)" and "NETGEAR-DualBand-N" is its "Name (11N SSID)", thats he first problem. The other problem is that when i try to connect to either of these networks, i type in the WEP and it tries to connect then says "connection timeout" after trying for about 10 seconds, so i turned off all security settings temporarily, and it still won't connect, it either ignores that i pressed the network, or has the bars on the connection image going up and down :confused:recently, it had full bars, though did not say it was connected to anything?? would be really grateful for any help, even if you have any suggestions in setting up an entirely new network just for my mac!! Thanks :)

2. earjax thread starter macrumors newbie

okay so i just connected to netgear dualband N with WPA on, but as soon as i connected the connection lost all its bars and its all grey, internet still not working :( it had 3 bars. When i try and join Netgear-2.4-G it says connection timmeout as usual :/

3. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

Firstly, format posts, it makes a huge difference trying too understand your problem.

In regards too the router, factory reset the router and access it from your mac -wired-. Set up the SSID, use WPA encryption, not WEP and make sure nothing like mac address control is enabled or any IP address reservation.

Once this is done, unplug from the wired, search for and try too connect too the wireless. Should this fail, try with another laptop / mobile device and see if they can connect. Also check that the network settings for the on your mac itself and establish it's set too have the IP assigned from the DCHP and has not been manually assigned as static (Sys Prefs -> Airport -> Advanced etc..).

Once you've taken these steps and they've failed, come back, if you're met with success, hurrah.

Edit: Also do all wireless testing in the same room / next too the router so you can establish it actually works. If you're only getting 3 bars it would suggest you're transmitting through several walls from a decent distance away? This could be the most basic solution that you're router is struggling too maintain the connection at the distance you're at, through the walls etc...

4. earjax thread starter macrumors newbie

i moved the mac into the same room and had full bars of signal, but it still didn't connect, i wired the mac aswell and that got internet connection :L i then tried to connect wirelessly and it didn't work :( i left it for a while and, it connected without me doing anything though?? so i moved it back into my room and it stopped working again :)

5. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

Take it too another geographical location and try to connect to a different wireless network (somewhere with free wifi / friend’s house etc) and see what happens.

If it fails to connect properly too those, then take the laptop too an Apple store & have them look at the airport. If it does connect fine, do a factory reset on the router amd then update its firmware. If it's still broken, consider a different router.

I use this and it's awesome.