Help with wireless dialup through Linksys router

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bowens, Jun 29, 2007.

1. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

I just got a free Linskys WRT54GS and I decided I would try to send out my wireless signal since I can't get high speed at my house yet. I connected my Mac Mini using my Apple USB modem, and told the mini to share internet using the Network Card. I have tried it using the Mini's wireless and it does work but the signal is not very strong. I connected the router to the Mini using a network cable (I have tested the cable and it does work). I tried connecting my DS Lite to check the connection. I could connect to the router but not to the internet. Has anybody tried anything like this before and succeeded?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Well I'll give you some credit for ingenuity but for practicality I can't give much credit. You aren't getting internet from the wireless router probably because the internet is not being passed to the router from the computer. I think you'll only get results from sharing internet through your wireless card in your Mini (if you have one). Otherwise the router will probably have to be configured as a WDS repeater (google it) and not as a DHCP server.

3. sfisher macrumors regular

Unfortunately, I can't find in the Linksys documentation of the product you have how to turn off the router part of it. That is the key - to get it into "bridging" mode where it just passes the signal coming out of the mini on to the wireless. If you were to buy a wireless access point that isn't also a router or even some routers, you can turn on this bridging mode. Then it would work.

4. bowens thread starter macrumors 6502a

bowens

I read somewhere that if you run the network cable from the computer to one of the LAN ports on the router instead of the Internet Port then it should work as a WAP. I really just want to use this to play some Mario Kart DS. I've done it before by sharing my connection through my Mini's wireless but I have to be in that same room to use it. I can get connection from the router up to 200 feet away.

5. sfisher macrumors regular

That's a good idea and should work for you. If it doesn't, make sure the Internet connection sharing is working through the Mini's wired LAN port by connecting a device directly to it first (it doesn't need a crossover cable - I just checked).

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I don't think MKDS would work with dial-up. Someone confirm this? The way I got the WDS working with my linksys required me to flash the ROM to the WRT ROM. Its free just google for it. Once you do that it will have WDS capabilities.

7. bowens thread starter macrumors 6502a

bowens

I said a couple posts up that I have played MKDS by sharing my dial up from my Mini but the signal wasn't very strong so I had to be in that room to play it. I know it will work if I can get a connection. I've also played Clubhouse Games via dial up.