Help with Wireless N

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by squeeks, Jan 28, 2008.

1. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

So i just got these new netgear Wireless N bridge/AP kit to connect two sides of the house together, one is in bridge mode, the other in AP mode, well, im assuming i can connect my Macbook Pro to the AP using wireless N but the network isnt showing up, i tried typing in the network name, and still no go, i have the security settings correct as far as i can tell..any ideas?

2. sanford macrumors 65816

Hmm. Generally when I can connect to a non-Apple AP but I can't see the network or hit the Internet, I have the wrong password stored for it. And remember 802.11n is a draft standard. Last I checked, Netgear was using draft 1.0 and Apple is currently using draft 2.0. Try putting the AP (and the bridge if need be) in mixed mode so that it support b/g/n, see if you can hit your network then.

And, I have to ask, do you live in Versailles? Or is your house made entirely out of lead and copper? You have to bridge an 802.11n network? You'd think n range would cover most of a fairly large house.

3. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

its bridged to connect two wired networks together, the cable modem and router are on one side of the house with two computer, and we have two xbox 360s, two ps3s and two hd-dvd players on the other side of the house, but i should still be able to connect to one of the wireless N ap's

the N ap is set to broadcast the SSID but my MBP isnt seeing it, i tried typing it in, along with the WAP code but it dosent want to work, it just tells me connection time out

4. Freyqq macrumors 68040

can you automatically connect? Do you see the network in the airport prefs?

I have a similar setup - a router and an access point with a switch connecting a couple computers and an xbox 360. I connect my mbp to the router tho, not the access point.

5. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

6. Freyqq macrumors 68040

if you can't even see the router and you're broadcasting the ssid then something is wrong

Do you have one of the mbp with the wireless N card? The previous MBP required an updater to get N capabilities and the current one has it standard

7. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

yes thankyou :p

yeah, its a santa rosa i bought it back at the end of june

i guess what i want to know is if you have to do something different to access wireless N networks, cause i can access G networks just fine

8. Freyqq macrumors 68040

should work, but then again I use G at home not N so idk

i got nothing

9. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

i guess i could just buy an airport extreme and have it hooked up seperatly, then i could ditch the G AP im using too cause the N ap only does N and A it dosetn do B or G which is kinda weird but whatever, its suppose to support apple Tv though, so i dont know why my mbp cant see it

10. Freyqq macrumors 68040

before you do that, look around google to see if anyone else with a mbp has this issue. Netgear is pretty popular..i'm sure you're not alone

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Connecting to wireless N access is the same as G.

Many of the other N wirless routers have issues, especially Netgear. Airport Extreme (N + gigabit ethernet) works fine here.

12. Freyqq macrumors 68040

says it works with mac on the site..

must be doing something wrong..not sure what tho lol

what encryption are you using? Sometimes to intense encryption can give laptops issues if they don't support it.

13. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

this is a brand new product that just came out yesterday (its still only pre-order from amazon) so it might be a bit before people start to see isssues with it

ive never messed with wpa before though, ive always used wep

14. Freyqq macrumors 68040

wep is lower encryption so it should be more compatible if anything

idk dude? maybe call up netgear tech support?

15. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Even some $300 wireless N routers that don't work as advertised.

WEP can be hacked in as quickly as minutes. There are some rare WEP protocals are vendor specific. WPA is much harder to hack.

Try it without encryption, with different encryption...

16. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

i shall, as soon as i get home, cant do much from here at work though