Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Temple90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2016
Philadelphia
Hello,

I am new to the forum and am seeking out some help. I tried to look up a solution prior to posting, but was unable to find one.

I have a resume that I received from a buddy of mine and edited it to reflect my experience. After submitting the resume to different job sites the original owner of the documents name prefills instead of mine. In the document I changed his name to my name and his phone number to my phone number.
Anyone have any experience with this?

I am also looking to reset Word to its original settings. While messing around with word yesterday in an attempt to fix the document, I changed some settings. I am now unable to highlight a word/sentence and delete it. The only way I can delete is by backspacing.

Any help is appreciated!

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Hello,

I am new to the forum and am seeking out some help. I tried to look up a solution prior to posting, but was unable to find one.

I have a resume that I received from a buddy of mine and edited it to reflect my experience. After submitting the resume to different job sites the original owner of the documents name prefills instead of mine. In the document I changed his name to my name and his phone number to my phone number.
Anyone have any experience with this?

I am also looking to reset Word to its original settings. While messing around with word yesterday in an attempt to fix the document, I changed some settings. I am now unable to highlight a word/sentence and delete it. The only way I can delete is by backspacing.

Any help is appreciated!

First problem is likely caused by a macro attached to the document which automatically fills in the name of the original owner. You need to remove the macro if you want to use that resume as a Word document, otherwise save it to PDF as was pointed out by the previous reply.

In order to restore the original settings to Word 2011 you can simply erase the "normal.dotm" template which Word uses to store the settings. Finding that template is not easy, however. Do some searching on how to find it and erase it. Word will create another "normal.dotm" template when it restarts and settings will be restored to default.

Temple90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2016
Philadelphia
First problem is likely caused by a macro attached to the document which automatically fills in the name of the original owner. You need to remove the macro if you want to use that resume as a Word document, otherwise save it to PDF as was pointed out by the previous reply.

In order to restore the original settings to Word 2011 you can simply erase the "normal.dotm" template which Word uses to store the settings. Finding that template is not easy, however. Do some searching on how to find it and erase it. Word will create another "normal.dotm" template when it restarts and settings will be restored to default.

Thank you for the advice! Much appreciated. I looked to see if there were any macros on the document to delete and there were not. I did delete the original posters name and use my name, but it keeps showing as his name.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
OK, try this instead: Open the resume document, from the top menu in Word click on File. Now select "Properties". When that opens, erase the author's (your buddy) name and insert your own instead. Also erase any other information that you don't need like company name and so forth. Let us know if that works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.