*HELP* Won't boot/prohibited symbol/folder ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kwik23, May 17, 2010.

1. Kwik23 macrumors newbie

As described above, my MBP refuses to boot. On startup, it's the grey screen w/ Apple logo. No scrolling thing underneath. Then after a while, I get the prohibited symbol (circle with line through it) followed by the folder with the question mark. After I hit cmd + s on start up, I receive the following: Loading 'mach_kernel'...
    ............................................................................................................
    root device uuid is '74D0B156-E3F4-4F24-B870-542744485AEA'
    Loading drivers...
    Couldn't get file info.
    Error loading drivers

I'm waiting on my CD's to be overnighted since they are in another city. Any help/thoughts until then would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Try to load off of the boot disk. Sounds like your drive crashed.

3. Kwik23 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I figured. My brother is going to overnight my disks asap tomorrow. Hopefully it's nothing that can't be repaired. I really need my data back off that drive. Don't mind buying a new HD.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

You might be able to retrieve the data, it might just be the OS that got corrupted and not the drive itself.

5. Kwik23 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just received my boot disks. I boot with them then go to disk utility. I try to repair the disk and I get the following: Rechecking volume.
    Checking HFS Plus volume.
    Checking Extents Overflow file.
    Invalid node structure.
    The volume Macintosh HD could not be repaired after 3 attempts.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
    1 volume could not be repaired because of an error
    Repair attempted on 1 volume
    1 volume could not be repaired

What does this mean? And am I doing this correctly? Mac newbie, sorry.

6. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

I have had this problem twice, I know what you mean. The Disk Utility message doesn't help at all. I had to discard the two Hitachi drives that underwent this. Couldn't do anything else. Sorry.

7. Kwik23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Saw something about "Disk Warrior." Is this an option for me seeing as how it doesn't start up on it's own? Also, if I'm screwed, how do I go about getting my data off. I have a 1 TB external MyBook w/ firewire conn.

8. Kwik23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunetly discarding isn't an option. I NEED the info off this drive. It's my own stupid fault for not backing up regularly, I know. I can beat myself up for this AFTER I've gotten my data back lol.