Help! won't turn on after cleaning the juice spill

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by roblyh, May 14, 2011.

1. roblyh macrumors member

My 3 years old spill juice to my macbook keyboard. First reaction, I wipe it off using some clorox wipes and tissue to dry the surface and hair dryer to blow dry in between the keys while the mac is still on.

Having done so, I realized that my "O" "-" "=" keys could not work. Frustrated, I turned the mac off and tried to restart the mac. Unfortunately, it can't turn on anymore.

I opened up the top of the keyboard to see any spill inside; behold there are some juice at the back of the keyboard and on the cd drive... wipe it and put everything back. Having done these, I still could not turn on...

Please help!

Macbook Core 2 Duo late 2007

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You should have turned it off immediately. You are likely looking at replacing the machine, as electrical problems at the board level are nearly impossible to resolve economically.

3. Detrius macrumors 68000

You turned it on while it was still wet with juice in it. It's not the juice that fried the computer--it's the electricity that went where it should not have when you turned it on. Turn it off, clean the whole thing out thoroughly with alcohol and a toothbrush, wait 24 hours, THEN try again.

4. roblyh thread starter macrumors member

should I take out the logic board and clean it?
    Any alternative to alcohol? I would like to do it immediately

5. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Yes if you're capable of it, and No, use alcohol.

6. roblyh thread starter macrumors member

I managed to took out the keyboard... would the logic board more difficult?

7. Detrius macrumors 68000

Yes, the logic board will be more difficult. You can also use WD-40 to clean it. It's better for corrosion, but it takes longer to dry.

Not kidding.

Really works.

Don't forget to clean the DC-in board.

8. roblyh thread starter macrumors member

Thank you guys,

I have taken out the logic board and clean it with the alcohol. I looked properly and I don't think the liquid had touched the board. I mostly seeing thick dust around the fan and i/o ports; I cleaned those as well.

Ok, long story short, this morning I have put back the logic board and the keyboard. Put in the power and could not turn on.

The LED on the power show green but my battery is low with 2 LED lights on.

I don't know how, as I try to turn on the machine, it suddenly turn on and run! But it is not through the battery and is not charging.

Beside that, I realize that my keyboard does not respond very well. My "R" key has to hit hard in order to type. My "Zero" is not able to use (See I can't type that number(

Having say all these, what is my next steps. What other things that I need to do to troubleshoot.

9. AshMan macrumors regular

10. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

11. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

And don't let any liquid get near your macbook again.

12. roblyh thread starter macrumors member

Now I have another problem -- it won't sleep. For about 1 minute of idle, it will shut down by itself. Even I tried manually clicking the sleep, it would shut down.

So what is the problem? It is the keyboard related?

13. StockDC2 macrumors regular

Sounds like something is getting shorted. Your keyboard will not have any effect on putting your computer to sleep.

Is your battery charging yet? If not, you may want to look at the battery connector/sleep sensor. That may kill 2 birds with one stone.

14. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

maybe in future you could use one of those rubberized things to help protect it? erm condom i think? lol sorry sorry had too.

I wouldnt let a kid with juice anywhere near anything I own. They have an amazing technique of getting it in the worst and near impossible places.

At least you had the stones to take the thing appart and try a self repair.. sorry to hear it didnt work. Maybe you can get a cheap second hand keyboard and trackpad top case piece and try that out?

15. roblyh thread starter macrumors member

I can charge my battery. It also can run by itself without the charger.

Btw, where is the sleep sensor?