HELP! Word '04 Macro Virus!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iMapple, Mar 22, 2009.

1. iMapple macrumors newbie

Hey guys. Long time visitor/lurker on MacRumors, first post. I hope someone can help me out here. Thanks in advance.

Apparently, some of my Word documents are infected with a macro virus. I'm not sure how many are infected, although I know it's not all Word docs. I'm running Office 2004 for Mac Student and Teacher Edition. How can I fix this? I'd like to prevent other docs from also becoming infected. I have no anti-virus installed and I'm still running Tiger 10.4.11 (hoping Apple releases Snow Leopard soon so I can finally upgrade). :( :confused:

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Not certain, but I think ClamXav can handle this
    Worth a look

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. iMapple thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion MacDawg.

However, I read on the ClamXav page that the program may move files around your computer. It suggests I backup any important data. I'm unable to do this now as I do not have an external hard drive on hand. Is there a work around to this macros thing or do I HAVE TO get another HD, backup and install ClamXav then.

I might as well get Leopard also. Although I'd rather not, given this economy and the fact that Snow Leopard is due later this year... seems like a waste of $$... :confused::confused:

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Simply turn off the MS Office Macros, MS tells you how to do this.

Since you are running a Mac OS, the word macros tend not to self-replicate as easy being it wasn't written to spread across Finder ... just Windows.

5. iMapple thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm a little confused as to what you mean. Should I turn off Word macros or macros for ALL Office programs? If the latter, do you know how I'd do this?

6. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

ClamXAV doesn't detect OS X threats. Since this is a macro virus, it may, so it's worth a shot. It won't move files around, if a threat is detected, you get a popup window asking what to do (providing you selected the appropriate checkbox in the preferences.)

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Turn of Macros in all the Office apps, make sure the Macro Virus Protection is on, and check to see if deleting the Normal document template is warranted.

If a document says it has macros and would you like to run them, just make sure you check to be sure it isn't infected.