HELP Word:Mac not working right

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by aerojls85, Oct 5, 2010.

1. aerojls85 macrumors newbie

I am having issues with Word:Mac. The program will open but when I try to open any documents it freezes. If I go into File/Open to open a document it freezes. I cannot click on any word file on my computer or it freezes trying to open it. If I open word a new blank document opens and works fine. Also when I go to File and click on a document in the recent activity list at the bottom it will open then. Why is this the only time a document will open? I need access to documents that are not on that list. Please help!

P.S. I have a MacBook and am running Mac OS X version 10.5.8. The Word:Mac program is version v.X. I think this is an older version of Word:Mac.

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

That version of Word is almost 10 years old. It's not surprising it has issues running on your machine/OS.

You really should consider upgrading to a more recent version, or even downloading OpenOffice to replace it.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Did you recently update the OS? Was Word behaving before with the same OS installed?

4. aerojls85 thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't changed anything. It was working fine two days ago. Then stopped working right yesterday.

I wish I could update my MS Office but don't have access to a newer version and don't really want to spend the money either.

5. jaydentaku macrumors member

Open office is free and will allow you to work with your existing office documents.

6. aerojls85 thread starter macrumors newbie

oh it is?! where can i download it? does it save documents as .doc? I need to be able to open them on a PC as well.

7. belvdr macrumors 603

www.openoffice.org

You can change the preferences so that it always saves a particular file (presentation, document, etc) as Office compatible. So, yes, it will open on another PC.

8. jaydentaku macrumors member

Its very versatile, plus, you can download it for your PC as well.

9. aerojls85 thread starter macrumors newbie