Help! Work Doesn't Support Android

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by gnr319, Jan 8, 2013.

1. gnr319 macrumors member

Hey Guys,

I just upgraded to a galaxy note 2 in November and I started a new job recently. There have been several technological obstacles already but the most annoying one is the fact that my work does not push e-mail to Android devices. They only support blackberries and iOS.

My immediate solution is to get a cheap unlocked blackberry or iphone and add a second line to my wireless service and use it purely for work. I don't think I'll mind carrying two phones but my work won't be picking up the tab.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Is there a workaround? If not, any ideas for cost-effective solutions?

Thanks!

2. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

3. gnr319 thread starter macrumors member

My main concern is to receive and respond to work e-mail. Some syncing with outlook may be helpful down the line as well but at this point it's not necessary.

4. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

If that's the case why not just go with an iPod touch? It'll do the same thing as an iPhone except make calls. As long as it'll be on wifi that's all you need. No need to add a line.

5. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Is there a web interface that could work for you?

Android is poorly supported in the corporate world. It had traditionally been far less secure than iOS or BB. That had improved in recent months but few businesses want yo risk their data on a mobile OS with such a poor record for security. These are the same businesses that have accepted Windows as their default; go figure.

6. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

In the IT world, You use what's required.

7. gnr319 thread starter macrumors member

There is a web interface but I would have to log in and out manually to check all the time. Is there an easy way to automate this process?

8. siiip5 macrumors 6502

Does your work use Outlook? If so, go to your phones Settings, scroll down to Accounts and Add Account. You will see an option for "Microsoft Exchange Activesync". Get all the details for manual setup from your IT guys. Enjoy.

And don't listen to the b.s. on here from ifans that know zip about Android. They just regurgitate the propoganda they've heard, but have little to no experience with the OS.

Here is the info on MS Exchange Activesync:

9. gnr319 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the information! I will give it a try and keep you guys updated. I was looking for a way to maybe work around the issue from my end.

10. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

See if you can use Good.

http://www1.good.com/support/devices-supported

11. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Likely won't work. If they don't push to Android it means that they've configured the Exchange server to detect the OS and not allow Android to configure. I support an environment that has that configuration set up by the Exchange admins. Yes, it sucks.

2 reasons for this (in the environment I support anyway):
    Android can be rooted (jailbroken) easier, and a non-standard OS (ROM) can be installed, introducing potential security holes since the non-standard OS hasn't been vetted by the company.
    In the past, Android hasn't presented the OS version to the Exchange server, it only presented the app version.

Now, some companies allow Android but stipulate that it can't be rooted (and they have a way to detect it now I guess).

This is another example of Android "fragmentation" causing problems for Android users. Some companies will likely allow Android but may only do it for certain devices so they can reduce the cost associated with vetting the OS.

12. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

They were talking about the past with android, not current android (very secure)....even so, most corporations have replaced BB with IOS

13. gnr319 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help, guys. But it looks like I'm going to have to go back to iOS.

I spoke with an awesome ATT rep and he's willing to give me a brand new 32gb iphone 5 for $300.

I'm kind of bummed because I think the Note 2 is far superior to the iphone 5 and there are many things on the Android device that I can't imagine parting with now. Now I have to re-learn iOS.

Anyway, I will put up a perfect condition marble white Note 2 for sale soon. Hope a lucky ATT customer will enjoy using the device as much as I did.

14. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Why not just buy an iPod touch and use that for email only? Seems a lot cheaper and a lot less hassle.

15. strausd macrumors 68030

Carrying around 2 devices all the time as opposed to just one sounds like more of a hassle to me. Not to mention both devices would thus be running completely different operating systems and one would be limited to wifi. I don't see how that is "a lot less hassle."

16. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

No need to carry around both if its just for work email. Keep it at home and just check it when you get there. Or keep it in the car and use wifi hotspot on the note 2. That way he doesn't have to get rid of the phone he prefers.

17. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Yeah I would probably end up doing what the OP did and get an iPhone 5 if there was no way of getting it to work on my Android phone (through rooting etc). It's too much hassle for me using 2 devices at the same time.

18. cynics macrumors G4

Considering the OP said, "I don't think I'll mind carrying two phones but my work won't be picking up the tab. ". Is probably where he got the idea it wouldn't be a hassle for the OP.

19. WRP macrumors 6502a

This sounds like a really stupid thing to try, but it worked at my place of business. Even if you have all the outlook stuff set up correctly push won't work. Due to security, all you have to do is enable the passcode lock so your device locks when you "put it to sleep." once that was done, Outlook synced like a charm. Could have no effect for you, but worth a shot and it took me a while to figure out for work. If your screen lock wasn't enabled, no workie.

20. lbhskier37 macrumors member

It made me laugh the first time I saw the Galaxy Note 2 commercial where the 2 coworkers are sharing the company earnings report over S Beam. Not happening in any company I know of, certainly not ours. That commercial would be like if apple had done a spot in the early 2000s with 2 gamers talking about taking their Macs to a LAN party.

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My company locks down their exchange servers, so I'm in a similar situation, and was the primary reason why I switched back to iOS. They've since opened it up to some select android phones - those that have sufficient security, i.e., group policies that include encryption, etc