Help would be great.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Deva, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Deva macrumors newbie

O.k. So if anyone could answer me or try to help that would be fantastic, ( BTW sorry I'm completely new to macrumors wasn't sure of where to post this) Ok so, my ipod touch got some water damage, I'm guessing from humidity I'm not sure, the indicator in the headphone jack is SLIGHTLY pink just a little bit of it. I was thinking of taking it into a mac store or w/e and getting it replaced? If that's possible, but I've heard that they're incredibly uptight about water damage and warranty. Now I also have a 2 year warranty from wal-mart saying they'll replace it after the year of apple's warranty is up, If anyone has had anything similiar to this happen and could tell me what I should do that'd be great. The wal-mart warranty says it'll be replaced from ware/tare, environmental issues, any electrical issues etc. Oh and I've tried waiting for it to dry, rice trick, etc. I'm guessing It's not working since I turned it on when it got water damage, but now it will not turn on or do anything, except get hot when I try to plug it in to my laptop. I'm guessing turning it on while that happened completely fried it and I'm in a bit of a predicament. Help would be appreciated thanks!
    Oh!, My ipod touch has also been jailbroken and since this happened I haven't had any way of resetting it to it's factory settings and I'm curious if somehow they replace it , if after they do and find out its jailbroken if they will somehow contact me and take the ipod back? legal issues? Idk I'm only 16 and this is a major pain ! Dx

2. mrj205 macrumors regular

if there is water damage apple will not do much for you. i don't know how a walmart warranty would work, maybe you can call them and ask the policy on water damage. i hate to say this, but it's probably bricked, so now you just have a fancy paper weight...:(

and for future reference, you should post your concerns about your ipod touch in the ipod touch forum, not the buying tips section

3. Deva thread starter macrumors newbie

Well the wal-mart one is a 2-year warranty that kicks in after the apple one wears off, it's called an extended year warranty? It says that It will replace it if there's issues due to the environment (and many more things), which is what I'm guesssing caused this problem,..... stupid humidity, but I would have to wait until December... So I have no idea what to do... It doesn't do anything as of this point and it's been 2 days in a container of rice ._. I'm posotive it's dried out.... I prolly screwed it up plugging it in etc. only like 2-3 hours later.....

4. mrj205 macrumors regular

With any water damage, it is always recommended that the power source be disconnected and the device left off for at least a week or so to ensure proper drying. More than likely you plugging it in etc. a few hours after fried it up good. Electricity running through components = no good. I know Apple Care calls water damage the way it is. They don't consider environmental factors, etc. Basically, a spade is a spade and water damage is water damage, regardless of how it happened. I would take it to an Apple Store if I were you and see what advice they have to give. If you can't get anywhere that route, you can wait until your other warranty kicks in and see if you can get it replaced that way. Good luck :cool: