Help! Wrist Detect Issues

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by goinskiing, Apr 24, 2015.

1. goinskiing macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

I am having issues with the watch waking while on my wrist and the blue lock appearing at the top and requesting passcode to do anything.

My Setup:
    42mm Stainless Steel Milanese Loop
    iPhone 6+

Settings (Default from what I can tell):
    - Wrist Detect Enabled
    - Activate by Wrist Raise Enabled

I do have hairy arms, but I've tried in different locations on the wrist and both wrists and on the underside with less hair, all to no avail.

I have also tried power cycling the watch and phone and have started from scratch several times, again, to no avail.

I have also noticed that my notifications work maybe 5% of the time or less.

Any other ideas before I start throwing around the "defect" word? Thanks all!

2. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

It requests passcode any time you take the watch off and put it back on.

make sure the watch is securely fastened to your wrist.

3. arminta7 macrumors regular

arminta7

4. goinskiing thread starter macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

Off

----------

Securely fastened, not taking it on and off.

5. arminta7 macrumors regular

arminta7

6. goinskiing thread starter macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

7. whatos macrumors 6502a

Mine is a 42/SS/Link, it was acting like what you've described.

I decided to remove a link so it fits snug. Now it's working just fine. However now it's very uncomfortable to wear. I have worm watches for years so it's not like I'm not used to it. In an effort to confirm I must wear it so snug, I put the link back to see if it returned to its prior state and it did.

Now back to being uncomfortably snug it's working well. Uncomfortable indeed. I'm giving this serious thought and will be in contact with Apple.

8. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

Hey can you tell me your wrist size and how do you were the link bracelet? All links or have you removed some?

Thanks.

9. goinskiing thread starter macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

I've tried it even uncomfortably tight with no luck. :-(
    The lady at Apple was very kind and assured me this was not typical behavior. I wasn't rude and was very polite and tried many debug oaths that she suggested and still was acting strange.

10. goinskiing thread starter macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

On call with Apple. They agree it sounds defective. :(

11. whatos macrumors 6502a

Sorry to hear, but apparently mine is too. Thanks for reporting back on this.

----------

I don't know my size, it's never been an issue. my post said I removed a link.

12. Zelegorm macrumors newbie

I have the same problems. I've turned off the passcode, but this could be not the solution!

13. goinskiing thread starter macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

Give Apple a call. They were very helpful and acknowledged that this is very likely a hardware issue. He escalated all my data points to their engineers and will be in contact with them throughout the day. It doesn't hurt that in a validation engineer by trade so I had plenty of data and debug experiments already done. He said he would check with the local Boise store to see if they have a replacement but I told him that it's likely they don't. I was polite and they were equally as polite as well. I'll keep you all posted.

14. Zelegorm macrumors newbie

Are there any news about this? Are you getting a new watch?

15. pjschmid macrumors member

What about passcodes and corp security policies

I have read some threads where exchange and corporate security policies were causing some of these issues. I'm on chat with :apple: right now because of a similar problem. I can make it go away if I turn off wrist detection but I shouldn't have to do that (no ApplePay without it). I think there are some issues arising around corporate security policies interfering with the wrist detection unlocking the watch. My company requires long passcodes although not complicated non-numeric passcodes and has an MDM on the phone. (I have seen some other issues about entering some more complicated passcodes on the watch as well.)

I will keep you updated as to what I learn from :apple:.

16. syrinxStarman macrumors member

You're the only person I've read about claiming to have actually received an SS w/ Link Bracelet so far, and on launch day, no less?

17. whatos macrumors 6502a

Not unique at all. Simply move out into the blogosphere and you'll see others.

18. bruceabbott macrumors member

If your notifications aren't working, it's because your wrist isn't being detected at that point in time. The watch won't get notifications when you take it off. Try turning wrist detect off to see if your notifications become consistent.

19. pjschmid macrumors member

No Updates Really

The problems seems to be something other than what I originally thought. It's somewhat intermittent, although it seems to not work more than it does work. I have gotten a call back from support but only to tell me they have no answer yet and that it's still going to an engineer.

I told the support representative I need to get an answer back soon so I know if I'm just returning the thing.

I was very excited about getting my watch. I'm a big :apple: fan. I have 2 MacBooks, I've had 3 iPhones and 3 iPads over the years. But I have to say, I'm really souring on the Watch. It just is not working as advertised at all and support doesn't seem to know how to support it. The support agent I talked to thought she could have me plug it into my MacBook to download data <smh>. (that doesn't work BTW - even the guy at the genius bar knew that). :(

20. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Part of this has been discussed before:

Your uncomfortable fit problem is a design flaw with Apple's link band. Unlike almost all other link bands, Apple did not include a way to do micro-adjustments (changes that are less than a link's width).

micro_adjustment.png

21. whatos macrumors 6502a

I have a variety of link style bracelets on my other watches. As you've pointed out Apple's link is quite a departure from those. One that lacks the customary ability to make fine adjustments.

Currently it no longer matters as I decided that the fit issue aside, Apple Watch just didn't offer a compelling reason for me to keep it. Perhaps in the coming years, Apple will build in other features of value to me.

After all it did require several years of development time to bring the iPhone up to speed.

22. Got the Shakes macrumors newbie

Wrist detection on mine stopped working completely on Sunday. Got in touch with AppleCare who has escalated the issue twice which is not at the engineering level. Still haven't gotten a response about if they have a fix or if I'm getting a replacement though.