HELP!! WTF Just Happened to my Computer??!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Wie Gehts, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Wie Gehts macrumors 6502

I've had my macbook for about a week or so. I put a bunch of stuff in the dock, collected a whole bunch of bookmarks in the browsers, changed the desktop appearance and had a bunch of stuff on the desktop.

I just restarted my computer.... everything I put in the dock are gone, all the stuff I had on the desktop isn't on there. I opened up my browsers and all my bookmarks are gone. They look like when you very first open them....default. My desktop changed back to the default appearance.

I traced the stuff on the desktop to a folder in my home folder....which, by the way, changed from the house icon into a regular folder icon.

The only thing I did was a verify and repair permissions because Garageband quit on me and I read in a garageband FAQ that repairing permissions helps after installing programs and if things are acting squirrely.

OH ^#@!*^#! I just opened iTunes and its acting like I opened it for the fist time! AAAARRRRRRRGGGGHHHH

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN WTF HAPPENED TO MY COMPUTER??? :confused::confused::confused::eek:

Thanks

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Did you rename your home directory by any chance?

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

4. Wie Gehts thread starter macrumors 6502

No, but after I did the permissions thing I noticed that my Home icon on the left side of the browser window had disappeared from there.
    The house icon that appears in the sidebar. It was there like it was from the very beginning. I did the repair permissions thing and I clicked on my HD and my Home icon vanished. So all this crap started happening without me doing any renaming

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Ok, well, if you didn't rename your home folder, or the house icon, the only other thing i can think of is that you moved your home folder out of the /users/ directory, thus when you logged in again osx saw you didn't have a home folder and thus created you a new one.

Maybe a few more details of what you did prior to rebooting would help

7. Wie Gehts thread starter macrumors 6502

I managed to sort things back to normal (I hope) thanks to you guys :)

Well, I had opened up garageband ( now, so far, my applications have been behaving very well) and opened up the loop browser and garageband quit on me.

There is a garageband faq page (third party..not apples) that I found a link to on apples garageband forum.

It said about if your application is acting up and when you've been installing programs (which I have), that its a good thing to verify and repair permissions....and that I did.
    I continued messing around in garageband for a while. Afterwards, I clicked on my HD and noticed that my Home icon was no longer there on the left side of the finder window.

Instead, I found a regular folder with my name on it..the name on my Home icon. I thought WTF, and out of not knowing what exactly to do, I dragged that folder over into the left side of the finder window just like how the Home icon was there.

Then I shutdown and stated up later and thats when everything was gone and I asked for help.

I must make clear..I DID NOT CHANGE THE NAME OF MY HOME FOLDER!

The actual Home folder, when I found it still had the correct name. I dragged it back into the finder window (where it acts as an alias, correct?) Restarted and it appears I'm back to normal.

Apparently the computer itself deleted or moved the Home icon from its place in the finder window. I have no idea if it had something to do with my repairing permissions or if its a coincidence.