Help: "Your system needs to be restarded"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by juanm, Apr 12, 2007.

1. juanm macrumors 65816

My macbook just did this...

I was watching the "new get a mac" ads (I don't think it matters, but it was "Flashback"), when suddenly, everything freezes, and I get a message (not in a small window, it was more like the dashboard, everything went darker) on the Macbook screen (I use an external screen as a primary display) saying something like "Your system needs to be restarded. Press the on/off button for X* seconds"

What does that mean?

After restarting, I got a "report error" message, but it got stuck when Quicksilver launched. After that, I had to close my session, re-enter into my account, and everything was fine. Except that the icons on the top bar have a weird place. From left to right: Airport signal - Sound - Battery- a space - Airport - A space - Spotlight. I used to have the Displays shortcut...

yes, Mad Jew, I've repaired permissions! ;) And the utility says everything is fine.

Well... now everything seems to run fine, albeit maybe a little less snappy...

What it is, doc?

As I wait for replies, I'm gonna back up some files.. just in case... :D

* I don't remember if it was 3 or 5, but it doesn't matter.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You have encountered a kernel panic. This means that the very core of the OS encountered an error that it could not recover from. If it does not happen again don't worry about it. If it gets more frequent you either have some software (probably driver) issues or hardware problems.

3. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

for a sec i read "retarded." ;)

is it just me? it seems that it's easier to have kernel panics on mactels than G4s.

4. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Meh. My computer freezes every now and again, sometimes kernel panics, sometimes it just simply stops responding, and sometimes lines of code pop up on the screen, ending with "Waiting for remote debugger connection" or something. My computer still works fine.

It means nothing important, unless you find it happens reasonably often, at which point it's time to start thinking about recent things you've installed, and start considering backing up your data and doing a system re-install. But then again, I'm a fan of being heavy handed with things like that.

Basically, it happens to everyone at some time, and means nothing.

5. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

most of the time, it means nothing. but i was bringing up my observation that KP tends to happen more often on mactels than on G4s.

it may seem unimportant, but it is certainly not a good sign that my old xp pro machine seem to be more stable under similar workload.

6. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Well, it depends. How long have you had your Macbook?

Sometimes, after playing with lots of freeware, my computer will freeze about once a day. I don't think my computer likes "Battle for Wesnoth" much. After a while, it calms down, and for example, I don't think my computer's frozen now for a couple of weeks. This being in contrast to before, while I was trying to write a long post for MacRumours, and my computer froze twice, losing a couple of hundred words each time, and having to start again.

I would disagree with the fact that intel macs freeze more often than g4's. If they actually do, then no doubt that will be fixed after a few updates of Leopard. But I would just say it's an illusion. You panic more when your new computer freezes than you do when your old one does, and so you remember it more. And if this is your first kernel panic on your macbook, then why are you so worried? It's more or less a random event, anyway.

(And it's 5 seconds)

7. juanm thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, thanks for your replies... I feel better now... My first Kernel Panic. I had heard about it, and have always wanted to have one, just to see what it's like. Now I've seen it... how can I turn this feature off?

Just kidding

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I was about to reply.. but got FAFAFA'd.

9. aLoC macrumors 6502a

You can't turn it off...

If a program crashes you have to load it again. But the Kernel is the first program that runs on your computer, the only way to reload it is to restart the whole computer.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Now wouldn't that be nice? Note to Apple: new control panel setting, kernel panics on/off.

Erasmus, I think you are seeing way too many kernel panics. I've had I think one total, on three Macs, over the last 2-3 years.

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You might have missed his hidden white text where he said he was kidding about turning it off.

I have to agree with IJ (though it pains me :)).. a KP more than once a month (MAX) is too often.
    Even that would be unacceptable to me.

I think this Mac I'm on right now.. I've had maybe 3 or 4 KPs in 3 years, and I use it 50+ hours a week.

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

DAMNIT MAN!!!!!!

You've cursed me!

I just had my first KP in 6 months. :)

Maybe CPU1 didn't like me running the "honkytonk badonkadonk" veido for a laugh.

13. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

black MB CD 2.0 - since it was out jun/jul last yr.

MBP CD 2.0 - since oct '06.

MBP C2D 2.16 - since nov '06.

both the MB and the C2D experienced at least 2 KPs within 3 months of ownership. MB was eventually returned to apple due to RSD, heat, and other issues.

if "frozen" equates to KP, i'll tell you that my PB 12" G4 has never had a KP until after 2.5 yrs of ownership. i find it odd that you think getting KP every few weeks is acceptable (unless you are a software tester). even xp pro can be up for months if not years w/o freezing or restarting.

not "so worried" exactly, but i'm concerned b/c every hard restart means a risk of file corruption (yes, data loss). also, KP was a rare thing for me in the PPC era.

14. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

I don't think anyone should just "accept" a kernel panic. That's straying into Windows mindset territory. They aren't random...something happens to cause them. The only time I've really had kernel panics is when I installed a bugged firmware update for my X800, which sometimes caused panics on startup. They fixed it pretty quick, and no more panics since then.

--Eric

15. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

I encountred a Panic last week on my TiBook, but that was the first one I've had on any of my Macs in probably about 2 years...

16. aLoC macrumors 6502a

Yes I didn't see that text. You never know these days who's kidding and who isn't. There are some people out there with really shockingly low knowledge :(

17. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

I haven't experienced akernel panic, even though i got my iMac about a year ago and I have all sorts of beta and hackish programs

18. robPOD macrumors 6502

19. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

^^ This is why people should read the entire thread before posting.

20. juanm thread starter macrumors 65816

Try watching the "get a mac" ads... It worked for me! :D

I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings... I just couldn't resist! :D

21. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-All

If I may suggest a rule of thumb, anything more than one Kernel Panic a year (when you're not jostling the computer around or doing anything funky) is a good average to maintain.

Anything more, start checking for overheats, dust, blockage, and RAM issues - and for the love of Pete, start backing up religiously.

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

What can I say? My powers are vast.

And I am not kidding!

23. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Yes, I have too many "computer freezes", but that's most likely because I play too many freeware games.

And I define "Freeze" as a kernel panic, or one of three other things. One, the screen fill swith debugger text, two, the system just, well, freezes, and three, USB inputs stop working.

24. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You shouldn't be able to freeze a Mac with bad software. The only way software can cause a genuine kernel panic is if it installs kernel extensions, which is a pretty rare thing.

25. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Or else there are people out there that have lives outside of their Mac!:D

I too saw retarded instead of a word that also includes a very import "s".

I have only had one Kernal Panic and that is using three different Macs over the past 5? years. How long has OSX been out?

I don't use betas or hacks at all. I use mostly "mainstream" software for the most part- handful of widgets and such. Pretty booring Mac life I guess!:rolleyes: